Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Oakley Glasses Question.
  • singlespeedstu

Looking at getting some new Oakleys but not sure what lense colour to go for.

So what lenses are you lot out there using for forest riding?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Clear for night time and crap weather, VR28 Black Iridium for nice days. Don’t really use glasses for just general riding.

Houns

It differs from person to person stu. Best go try some on. For sunny day time riding in the wyre i wear ice, fire, ruby, positive red, black irid, black irid polar, grey, VR28 depending which glasses i pick up.

rOcKeTdOg

oh no, someone mentioned Oakleys…. Nurse, the screens for Mr Houns! 😆

Houns

8)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

But Houns never wears them when he rides a bike 🙄

Gold/ice/blue/black iridium work for me when its blazing sunshine
    vr28/g30 for riding off road where there is cover
    yellow/clear for nights

I wear mine when riding too 😀

Houns

I do, i just never ride 🙁

singlespeedstu

I thought this might attract Oakley Whore Houns. 😉

It was the G30’s I was looking at.

I’ve got some a bit darker than that but really struggle in the trees with them on.

Looks like Racing Jackets with vented G30 it is then

Ta all.

Houns

get the new racing jackets – Jawbones, some come with an extra set of lenses

martinh
    Free Member

For forest riding I love my VR28s.

The G30 was tempting when I got the prescription pair but wasn’t available in the UK at the time.

Joxster
    Free Member

Oakleys are overpriced tat. They were decent back in the 90’s but have lost their way and are no longer sporting glasses, unless you play tennis or golf. Rudy Project are far better and comfortable to wear.

Winter/night – Clear or Yellow
    Autum/Spring – Photochromatic
    Summer – Dark

pedalhead
    Free Member

Scary price, but do I quite like the look of the Jawbones.. linky. Don’t suppose anyone has any experience of them yet?

Houns

Not yet, waiting for them to be delivered

Nico
    Free Member

Should’ve gone to specsavers.

sofaking
    Free Member

check out the transition lenses they do stu , similar to spesh. adaptalites but better imho.

martinh
    Free Member

Transition are good but don’t get really dark for extremely bright light. My prescriptions are Transition with Gold Iridium to compensate. For everyday riding straight Transitions should be fine.

I looked at Rudy Projects but settled on the overpriced tat

Ed-O
    Free Member

Rode over my ‘eye wear’ yesterday. Glad they weren’t Oakleys 🙂

CountZero

I’ve worn the overpriced tat since Blades first came on the Market. Also wear Dragons and Arnets. My prescription glasses are overpriced tat Oakleys. Why, because, unlike Joxter, who has obviously never worn a pair outside of a shop, I consider them to be the best glasses I’ve ever worn, in thirty years of wearing glasses. Go and troll somewhere else.
    My current pair are WHY8’s, with grey Transitions and Emerald Iridium. I’ve also got clear WHY3’s and WHY3’s with Fire Iridium lenses, which are a bit dark when in the woods. I’m thinking about getting Persimmon tints to replace the clear lenses for more all-round use. I’ve got an old pair of Arnet Raven wrap-arounds with prescription persimmon tinted lenses, and they’re great during the winter for keeping the crap out of your eyes and brightening dull days.

Joxster
    Free Member

Why, because, unlike Joxter, who has obviously never worn a pair outside of a shop, I consider them to be the best glasses I’ve ever worn, in thirty years of wearing glasses. Go and troll somewhere else.

Ok, I’ll go and find the promo stuff that was used, given I was sponsored by them for 3yrs, I was also PAID to use Bolle, Dirty Dog, Specialized, Rudy Project and quite a few other manufacturers. Maybe my ears were in the wrong place but they didn’t fit my face, the lenses were rubbish and scratched up and the legs warped. I’ve had Oakleys since 1987 and I’ve always given them a chance, but they never deliver.

Chevin
    Free Member

I have also gone through Oakleys since the Days of Pilots. Never had anything as good.

At the moment Radars are definately the best. I never though they would better the M frame. Super clear (you can’t tell you are wearing them – apart from nor squinting!)

For bright light I use Blue Iridium – never too dark to have that momentary blindness flying through the trees.And of course excellent in sunshine!

Hi Intensity persimmon for when the weather is crap,

Clear for night.

Yes they are expensive, but they are the best! And you only have 1 set of eyes!

Matthew

crazy-legs

Usually G30 lenses for me (Half Jackets) but today I was wearing Slate Iridium. Clear for night and persimmon for overcast.

Fantastic glasses and, as I wear contacts, I need to have glasses on when riding or risk wrecking the lenses (and possibly my eyes) with water/mud/dust getting into my eyes.

singlespeedstu

LOL.

Just got back from todays ride.

Only on STW can you get nobends struting there stuff like that.

Joxter.

I embrase your nobbyness and welcome you to the world of folks that have no idea what they’re talking about. 😆

crazy-legs

Only on STW can you get nobends struting there stuff like that.

Joxter.

I embrase your nobbyness and welcome you to the world of folks that have no idea what they’re talking about.

I hate to spoil your fun there but I’m 99% certain (if Joxter is who I think he is) that he’s represented Britain at the Olympics and is still a pretty damn quick Masters racer…

Joxster
    Free Member

Stu, I accept your embrace in a manly type of way but I’ve got questions to ask. Like why the hell some of my Laithwaite catalogue is printed upsidedown!!!!!

singlespeedstu

I hate to spoil your fun there but I’m 99% certain (if Joxter is who I think he is) that he’s represented Britain

crazy legs.

I also hate to spoil your fun.

But I’ve also represented Great Britain at world championship level. 😯 😉

But what the **** has that got to do with a question about lense colours…..

sofaking
    Free Member

while we’re on the subject, wheres the best place for replacement lenses for half jackets xlj ?

Houns

Steptoes

sofaking
    Free Member

cheers houns

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Having read this again. ignore my previous comments. I have not represented Britain and as such I am not able to give advice on sunglasses

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers for the Steptoes houns.

Just bought some persimmon XLJs for my half jackets for when the Black Iridiums* are just too much.

* Great lenses, especially the polarising.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you’re getting Radars I’d say get a photochromic lens with the glasses as currently (much to my annoyance) you can’t buy them separately. Other than that get a clear vented and a medium-dark lens.

uplink
    Free Member

Still trying to sort the chiff from the chaff here as I could do with something that’s a good compromise for riding places like Dalby in bright sunlight – where you go from very bright to pretty dark very quickly indeed – I ended up having to pull my glasses off yesterday

BTW – I’ve never represented the UK at world championship level but I was once informed that I must consider myself the Queen’s representative in Greenland & act accordingly
    I immediately set off drinking picking fights with the male American GIs & chasing the females
    Her Majesty would have been proud when she read the dispatches 😉

thekingofsweden

Stu can you do nothing without causing some kind of ruckus over apair of glasses ! I thought you were more of a NHS black buddy holly style of glasses wearer ?
    You could do what i did last time out used Sheldons uber expensive glasses still couldn’t see where i was going tho 🙄

Oh and while we are blowing our own trumpets i reprsented the UK in a minor European championship last year and won !

You wont hear me talking about it tho 😆

singlespeedstu

Oh and while we are blowing our own trumpets i reprsented the UK in a minor European championship last year and won !

You wont hear me talking about it tho

Was that in Sweden then.

Where you became king.

Make the most of it Jase as you’re only KoS for another few days. Then you’ll be back to being a commoner again like the rest of us. 😀

thekingofsweden

No its not like that its like being a world or olympic champion once you have that status you have it so i will always be your king 🙂

singlespeedstu

*Bows down to The King again*

sheldona
    Free Member

I’ve got a few different lenses you can try at the weekend. G30, transitions etc… G30 great lens but the transition is more versitile.

singlespeedstu

I’ve got a few different lenses you can try at the weekend

What lense for getting blind drunk at SSUK? 😆

sheldona
    Free Member

beer glasses!

singlespeedstu

Or beer goggles?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Glasses Question.’ is closed to new replies.