Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Oak worktop hole cutting.
  • bodgy
    Free Member

I need to cut three 80mm dia. holes in a 40mm thick Oak worktop, to accommodate cable tidy grommets. These kind of things:

I’ve got quite a decent, powerful router; could I use a hole cutting bit in it

or is there a better/safer way of achieving a neat cut?

Any brands or tips welcome.

Thanks in advance, folks.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’d just use the cutter in a drill and take it easy.

Edit- I thought you had the hole cutter already. I’d buy a decent quality one and probably cut from both sides as it won’t go through 40mm in one cut.

nickjb
    Free Member

Cut a hole in a scrap of MDF with the hole saw in a drill then g clamp that to the work top. Draw round it. Cut 5mm inside the line with a jigsaw. Use a router with a bearing and follow route from the MDF. Safe and neat

bodgy
    Free Member

Cut a hole in a scrap of MDF with the hole saw in a drill then g clamp that to the work top. Draw round it. Cut 5mm inside the line with a jigsaw. Use a router with a bearing and follow route from the MDF. Safe and neat

Brilliant! I’ve got all the kit to do that as well!

Nice one, Nick.

mikey.b
    Free Member

You would be fine with a hole cutter as per pic if you took it easy, had a big drill and don’t mind the smoke. A Tct hole cutter would go through like butter – this from a recent convert 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just make sure you cover the smoke alarms 😉

bodgy
    Free Member

Tct hole cutter? Is that a brand?

I don’t mind buying a new hole cutter, or router bit, but can’t really afford a new large drill.

jeffl

Used a hole cutter in mine to start the sink cutout with a standard cordless drill. Worked fine. Just go steady so you don’t get any scorch marks.

project
    Free Member

Tct hole cutter? Is that a brand?

Tungsten carbide tipped hole cutter, lumps of tungsten brazed onto the teeth of the hole saw.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cutting-tools/carbide-tipped/product/p/KEN0507800K

maccruiskeen

I cut fifty two 122mm holes in oak with a Starrett Hole saw and a bog standard drill driver the other week so you would be fine just cutting three. A decent bi-metal bit will be fine – get TCT is you like but I don’t think I’ve ever managed to blunt a Bi-metal one

Make sure you back the saw off frequently to clear the debris from the cut and it’ll be fine

kayak23

9 replies and nobody has said he needs a Festool yet…
    Tsk.. 🙄

bodgy
    Free Member

9 replies and nobody has said he needs a Festool yet…
    Tsk..

I know. I was hoping for better.

rickk

For three holes the hole cutter is the right call. Take your time and go from both sides, watch out for drifting away from a vertical position in the drill.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If you’re not going to see the hole when it’s cut thankfully it doesn’t matter if it looks a bit crappy. If it was me I’d want it looking good anyway so I’d use a template and a straight cut router bit with an appropriate collet. Cut 5-8mm on each pass until you’re through. That’s how my joiner cut my 40mm oak worktop and it’s the most controlled and least risky way. It’s quite a small hole to use a jigsaw.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Oak worktop hole cutting.’ is closed to new replies.