Oak Tree

Home Forum Chat Forum Oak Tree

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Oak Tree
  • johndoh

Have you checked to see if it is subject to a preservation order?

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

John Doe wrote:

Have you checked to see if it is subject to a preservation order?

i believe that unsafe trumps a preservation order…

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Won’t be an issue getting clearance to fell a “large 90% dead oak tree” if there is a TPO on it.

Probably best to get the clearance, though, just contact the council and ask for the tree officer. they might come round, they might be happy to agree based on photos.

Good point on the preservation order – suppose I’ll have to check with the council, but given that it produced about 12 leaves this year I suspect I;d get the permission if it is listed.

johndoh

Won’t be an issue getting clearance to fell a “large 90% dead oak tree” if there is a TPO on it.

Agreed

Probably best to get the clearance, though, just contact the council and ask for the tree officer. they might come round, they might be happy to agree based on photos.

Absolutely – which is why I thought I would mention it. Take it down without approval then try to prove it was dead when some mad old neighbour decides to complain won’t work if you don’t have any evidence/permission.

Three_Fish

Not really pedantry, rather something genuinely interesting; but even a healthy tree is around 99% dead.

I’ve now checked the council interactive mapping (https://www.westdevon.gov.uk/article/813/Interactive-Mapping) and there are no TPOs on my land. So given I can cut it down legally – what shall I do with it?

After a quick chat with my neighbor and a check of the land registry plan it turns out I am the owner of a large 90% dead oak tree that I always thought was theirs. It needs a load of branches taken off and the whole thing should probably come down. It overhangs my garage and their stables so I’m expecting a fairly hefty bill from a tree surgeon to do the work. However, the main trunk is perfectly straight, about 75cm diameter and 6 metres tall – a nice bit of wood. It would supply me with good firewood for a good few years, but it seems a crime to burn the trunk.

Assuming we could get the trunk down in one piece without destroying my garage:

What would STW do with it?
    Whats it worth as a trunk – would someone pay me to come and take it away?
    It’d make a nice worktops for the kitchen – I could get a mobile saw mill in but is the cost of that going to be worth it in terms of the value of the cut wood?
    Do sawmills do pickups?
    What else could I do with it?
    Should I just chuck it down the well (http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/found-a-well-in-my-garden)?

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

totem pole?

orangery?

Call a local sawmill, see if they’re interested?

teasel

Not really pedantry, rather something genuinely interesting; but even a healthy tree is around 99% dead.

I was unaware of that. Nice factoid.

In Africa the guides called some old specimens Dead Dog trees – no bark.

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

Dugout canoe.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top