Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • NYC trip Help?
  • scotchegg
    Free Member

Following from my post about smoke from my neighbours log burner at the weekend. I need more advice (I will post the out come of that incident as soon as it is resolved…)

I am planning on taking Mrs Scotch Egg to NYC for her 30th in December. I have never done anything like this before as she plans our holidays. I just pay for them 😥

So I need pointers to where I need to go and hotels to book. It’s not like I can book a package holiday is it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    somouk
    Free Member

I normally use expedia to book things or have a google for hotels and see which one I like. Pick one closest to the attractions you want to see.

nano
    Free Member

Mid town is exactly that and handy for seeing the sights in either direction..

Hotel metro is a decent hotel one block north of the Empire State with Macy’s / Broadway at the end of the road.. Rooms are decent size for an NYC hotel and there are some decent bars and delis on the same street. There’s a free breakfast (muffins Danish etc) and free coffee 24 hours..

Have stayed there years apart from first visit in 95 to last visit in 2010 with plenty in between and it always delivers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Give it 24hrs before booking anything though!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

December is a good time to visit the city has a great Christmas feel to it. Rockefeller Centre has the big tree (and small skating rink, larger one in central park), 5th Avenue will be set up for the celebration / retail frenzy

Weather could be all over the place, clear and sunny, freezing cold or just wet.

Hotel prices vary quite a lot and can be pricey to mind boggling, that may define your budget/trip.

What sort of thing does the Mrs like, shopping, sights, food, bar scene, arts ? What sort of hotel, traditional, hip, budget or apartment style ? How long a trip are you planning ? The great news about New York is you can do any and all of the above.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I like this hotel, a little funky, nice rooms, good bar and lively restaurant. Possibly not the most convenient location for a leisure trip as its around 23rd rather than the 40’s and 50’s of midtown.

Gramercy Park Hotel

Just checked and room rates quoted are much higher than I’ve paid before, assume its premium holiday season rates ie £350 a night

scotchegg
    Free Member

Mikewsmith are you making reference to the small storm that is impending?

Thanks for the tips folks. I can rely on STW

joeyj
    Free Member

We have been a couple of times the first time we stayed at The Broadway Plaza hotel (wish we stayed there the second time) and h second time we stayed at the Newyorker. Would definately recommend the Broadway Plaza only 2* but rooms are massive and they provide breakfast but there is also a food outlet on the ground floor is you want a cooked breakfast. Possibly a little out of the way but allows you to walk rather then use the underground. If I was to recommend anything would be to walk everywhere you see so much more than shuttling around in the underground. Possibly think that there may be a third trip at Easter now thanks OP

trail_rat
    Free Member

my mate landed there yesterday ….. hes a little gutted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘NYC trip Help?’ is closed to new replies.