• This topic has 27 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • NWest/WYorks -need new routes (stuck in a rut)
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve become almost rainman of late. Stuck in the same area, riding the same trails. Today I just couldn’t be bothered, turned the bike round and chucked it back in the car.

Anyone else had this?

I need new, fresh routes in Yorkshire etc etc. I’ve killed the White Peak to death. Know every rock dammit.

Suggestions? No trail centres. I just can’t ride them.

jekkyl

move house.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Which areas do you ride in most?

whitestone
    Free Member

So what do you like and what do you dislike? How far (and from where) are you willing to travel?

Swaledale is a good starting point – plenty of trails most of which are reasonably weather-proof.

North York Moors can be good but does need to be dry or frozen otherwise it tends to be gloopy (think Cut Gate style riding)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I need to take you out around South Halifax…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Try the Dark Peak. Or the Dales.

And when you say you’ve ridden the White Peak to death. Is that just the “official” trails. Or have you spent any time with an OS map.

hora
    Free Member

All, official, non official the lot. DBW, any weekend dude as it also means I just drop the family in Outlane

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ll check the diary and see if I can drag any Brighouse natives out and we’ll do the whole of our end of the valley 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Ride the same trails but differently. Be in the moment… 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Second recommendation for Swaledale, we’re just learning our way around there and there seems to be plenty to go at.

hora
    Free Member

What book for Swaledale? Vgraphics? BWD I’ll FB you

tmb467
    Free Member

I’m up for that DBW – just a matter of mins from Outlane as you know

whitestone
    Free Member

Yorkshire Dales North has a few routes in the Swaledale area. As ever ask at Dales Bike Centre in Fremington (nr Reeth) and you’ll get more ideas.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

DBW i could be tempted for that, i’m only 15 mins away. Mirfield.

i can recommend the woods south of mirfield to briestfield and down to netherton, and recently found a few bridleways around emley moor, bretton etc) which are good XC rides, cant beat an os map. other than that the holme valley/meltham/marsden offers some great riding,
    the vertebrate guides have todmordon/HB/Mythamroyd/oxenhope sewn up.

i try to mix it up alot, ride the same trails in reverse and loops that arent the same over and over, and on different bikes with different suspensions.

Hora if you are on facebook check out calderdale mtb club, they have a nightride wednesdays and most weekends are out and about, still meaning to join up for a ride.

jekkyl

with all that experience you think you’d know how to cycle in ruts?!

RobinL

@whatyadoinsucka

Lots of other options from Mirfield, out on M62 corridor which are some DBW is talking about, Norland Moor way and the Shibden Valley.

alibongo001

Hora / all

You would be welcome to meet with a group @ Copley @7 on a Tuesday evening for some Halifax / Sowerby / Hebden fun – usually around 20 or so miles and a pub visit thrown in.

Some faster lads but they are kind and wait for us fatter ones! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Will do next Tuesday. I’ve given blood today so can’t tonight.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Not sure where in West Yorkshire you are or what sort of distance your looking to ride. Routes local to me I quite enjoy are Elland woods, shibden, Esholt, Baildon, St Ives and Ogden. All areas worth looking at and most rides can be easily extended.

Simon

I’d recommend exploring the Aire Valley if you’ve not already. Some great riding around Harden, Cottingley, Shipley Glen/Baildon Moor, Thackley, Esholt and Calverley. Some good stuff on Otley Chevin too. Ilkley Moor is fun too if it’s dry or frozen.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

West Yorkshire as a whole has a fack ton of riding. I’ve been here 3 years (Hudds) and still readily finding or being shown new stuff.

abeach
    hora
    Free Member

That actually looks good and local. It’s all bloody local thinking about it

BadlyWiredDog

Ride the same trails but differently. Be in the moment…

What I meant by that is that, is that you can change the trails you ride. I guess I’m somewhere at the opposite end of the spectrum. I like riding in different places, but I also love the familiarity of local trails and the way they change from week to week and, especially season to season.

Join things up differently. Ride your usual route the other way round. Try different lines. Focus on different aspects of your riding. Go check out that side turning you always ride past. Ride slowly. Look at the scenery more. Same trails, umpteen variations in the way you think about them. Think about the sound and feel of your tyres on the trail. Try riding smoother. Or faster. At night. In the snow. In the rain. When the wind is screaming through your head.

I’m not saying there’s anything bad about riding new trails and areas, but you can also find new things to enjoy in the riding you know well if you try.

flyingmonkeycorps

Dales Bike Centre have some handy printed maps of great routes around there, there are also some GPXs on their website. Well worth the money for a printed map. You can park there too. And the cake is great.

ton

hora, sweary boys ride every Tuesday from somewhere around hudds/Halifax/hebbers.

if you dare…………. 😆

ahsat

checking in having recently moved to West Yorks (NW Leeds)

hora
    Free Member

Swearyboys on FB?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘NWest/WYorks -need new routes (stuck in a rut)’ is closed to new replies.