Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • NW Scotland locals – current hill conditions???
  • bajsyckel

Hello to any locals reading this. I’m thinking of heading to Kintail/ Skye/ Torridon/ Fisherfield/ Sutherland tomorrow afternoon for a long weekend. Can any of you advise on conditions in the hills? No plans to what or where just yet, either riding/ climbing/ scrambling/ walking, depending on how wet/ frozen things are. Looking round various climbing blogs/forums it seems like there’s been a bit of a thaw elsewhere this week, but as usual any reports from the NW are thin on the ground. So how are things looking at the moment? Thanks!

bajsyckel

Nobody?

davetrave
    Free Member

NE rather than NW here but still, something’s better than nothing… Going to get cold again this weekend across the north of Scotland, possibility of snow, etc…

Have you looked at the Mountain Weather Information Service website – excellent forecasts for up to 72 hours out and pretty much always spot on:

MWIS

Could also have a look at the webcams for the west coast locations on Winterhighland to at least get an idea what it looks like in the NW at the moment as well, usually get reports from people out on the hills as to conditions either posted in the forum or on the main site too:

Winterhighland

bajsyckel

Cheers davetrave, familiar with mwis and winterhighland.One other thing that you might find useful (you probably already use) is yr.no – they also have links to webcams near the places you search for forecasts for.

Basically I’m wondering what freezing/ thawing has been going on since last week so I can outline some possible routes/areas to explore. Will have the bike as well as other gear but a couple of reports would be useful to help outline some options.

davetrave
    Free Member

Thought you might be aware of them, but you never know…! I also get to rely on the missus getting a forecast from the RAF Lossiemouth Met Office as well.

As far as actual hill conditions, in either area, sorry, can’t help as not been out in the (proper) hills for a couple of weeks… 🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘NW Scotland locals – current hill conditions???’ is closed to new replies.