Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Nutz – hit or miss?
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

Anyone tried these?

With the weather turning wetter, I’m thinking of getting some. A tenner on ebay.

Sorry for the gratuitous link, it’s not me selling them, honest.

BoardinBob

Front ones are invaluable in my opinion. The back one looks worthless so interested to hear some real life feedback. It’ll cover a strip on your back or ass but water and mud splashed around it will find its way there eventually

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve got the Mucky Nutz front version, which is great in my opinion. Really helps, especially at speed.

Never tried the rear one above – just got the standard one that attaches to the seatpost, which takes away the worst of the spray.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warpcow
    Free Member

I always have a front one (Mucky Nutz) on my MTB. Don’t expect miracles, but it will keep crap out of your eyes and off your fork stanchions. The rear one I use on my CX. Again, it’s nothing compared to a proper mudguard but it does keep your cheeks dry from spray.

atlaz
    Free Member

Front one on my MTBs. The back one is designed as an emergency one for commuters/roadies more than something solid for offroad use as it clips into your saddle rails.

phiiiiil

I have a muckynutz like that on the front; it’s amazing, I wish I’d found them years ago. No more having your face continuously splattered when it’s wet, it’s surprisingly effective.

I have one of the rear ones on my cx commuter, but I wouldn’t put one on a mountain bike because I suspect it would just get in the way all the time, and it’s very easy to knock out of alignment.

spawnofyorkshire

the rear one was useless on my MTB so has been moved to road bike to save me from summer showers (until it’s fixed fender time)

Front one is awesome on MTB, barely any crap sprayed up to the face anymore

rOcKeTdOg

Rear only really works on a road bike where it keeps ur Arse crack dry on mtb you’ll still get covered it it’s really muddy, but hey, every little helps

A @themudhugger is better

Simon

Front ones are great, I have them on all my mtbs, do a similar job to an RRP Neoguard but don’t direct all the mud and grit onto your fork stanchions.

Used the rear one once and it was useless.

eltonerino

Made one out of a 2 litre bottle the other night. One slightly wet ride later and I only had one piece of mud thrown at my face.

Sui
    Free Member

Agree make your own.

this was going to have a different drawing on it, but i decided with my wisdom to forgo the lengthy penis!

cookeaa

One made from an old milk bottle another from a celebrations tub here.

I’m sure I’ll be told I’ve defrauded some great innovator, but I’m citing the eco-fundamentalist, recycled rubbish clause for karmic realignment…

mamadirt
    Free Member

Is there a WSD version? 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

Just fitted the front one to mine. Found it on the trail* and fixed it using better quality zip ties than the previous owner. It doesn’t keep all the spray out of my face but it certainly reduces it. Back one has been discussed a few times on here and is universally panned for mtb use.

*If rightful owner is on here then happy to return 🙂

austy
    Free Member

Got the front one and works a treat keeping spray out your face my first broke and god I missed it. Can’t singvhigh enough praises for the mudhugger, so much better than a crud version and keeps dropper post arse and camelbak are still clean.

PrinceJohn

Made one out of a 2 litre bottle the other night. One slightly wet ride later and I only had one piece of mud thrown at my face.

Having just come over from the Rapha thread it’s nice to see the ingenuity of people trying to save less than a tenner.

the fronts decent bit easy to crease though,

i tried the rear on my xc bike with a 30.9 seatpost
    it was rubbish,poor fit, moves when knocked,
    no mater how tight the strap is.

then i put it on the commute an shops mtb which has a 26.6 seatpost,
    it fits tight on that small post with the buckle in the middle of the strap pulled as tight as possible, and it didn’t move if i whacked it,
    i whacked it about a fair bit an quite hard,
    i was worried if i hit it any harder it would brake it,
    but it stayed in the middle

its only going on a bike that will be going mostly in straight lines on flat roads, running 26x 2.0 slick tyres,so a lot less flicked up then muddy knoblys
    i should be ok 😯 fingers crossed :?.

im running it on the middle hole setting so its pointing up a bit,
    but tbh its a pretty ugly rear fender in any of the 3 postions.

ile see how it gets on commuting an shopping an even take it on some flat xc
    an see if it stays put 😯

if its rubbish at that i suppose if i pierced some holes in it i could use it as a gut fender on a 29ner :mrgreen:

Northwind

The fronts are great- far more effective than a crudcatcher or similiar, and less hideous. Out of their depth with winter filth mind, it’s worth having a big manly mudguard like a shockboard for stuff like that. All my bikes have one or the other fitted, all the time.

But I’d say either buy the original (Mucky Nuts) or make your own copy, don’t give money to people who’re just stealing their design.

the the glue holding the rubber bit of the fastening clamp is coming away
    from one bit now an there is also a bit of movement when knocked so that didn’t last long, i think they should think about thicking areas an not be obsessed with
    making plastic origami crap, as long as they keep say a few grams lower then crud’s stuff which shouldn’t be hard on the rear one.

maybe if you glued some rubber strips to your post it may help but who wants to do that? i think the need to go back to the drawing board an use two straps, maybe more grippe flexible rubber like virbram shoe type or sumit

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Have rear in my mtb, it’s useless in the traditional sense but, I have a cut away (or what ever you may want to call it) and it does wonders stopping my undercarriage getting soaked whilst in the saddle. The flappy bit at the back mind which is supposed to act as a mudguard is pants.

I often[/S] occasionally wonder if I find mudguards ineffectual as a result of running my seat post at full extension mind

BoardinBob

Mudhugger rear, though pig ugly, is the best I’ve used and is reasonably stealthy looking if your bike’s a similar colour

philwarren11
    Free Member

I drew up one before then cut out a plastic folder for 99p from Tesco.

Mucky nuts are kind enough to show you the profile so working out the size was easy enough.

heard a lot of good things about the mudhugger,
    but i think im just gona get some waterproof shorts tbh 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Nutz – hit or miss?’ is closed to new replies.