Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nutritionalists… Protein absorption and doseaging advice needed
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to maximise the efficient use of my supplements (I’m using Myprotien hurricane) post riding. Now I appreciate that absorption rates will differ depending on metabolism, bmi, etc, etc… But is there a general figure of protein that it is accepted the body can absorb in one sitting? I also believe you should aim to consume 1g protein per kg of body weight per day?

Cheers 🙂

DrP

This is the guy you want…

DrP

hilldodger
    Free Member

Ahhhh, the “great protein myth” 😆

Fact 1: a liquid protein drink will pass through the part of your intestine that absorbs protein in about 1.5 hours

Fact 2: your intestine can digest/absorb about 10g protein/hour

Conclusion: anything more than 20g protein in liquid form is just going straight down the pan, literally

Kryton57

Post ride snack, job done:

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Cheers Hildodger, good factoids… Do you have scientific research to back this up? 😉

Kryton57… That sure looks delicious but I’m usually too busy to knock up a chicken fajita pita with side salad although I do agree real food is superior if possible.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Cheers Hildodger, good factoids… Do you have scientific research to back this up?

is pretty much standard textbook stuff, could find some scholarly references iof you really want….

eatplants
    Free Member

Respectfully , you are wasting your money on protein supplements , spot on what has been said 20g max per “meal” and 1g per kilo is around the amount I have always heard . I was a (rubbish) bodybuilder 20 years ago , and wasted tons on supplements til I realised it was the injections and hard training making the difference , the best advice I would give is utterly boring but , eat a balanced diet lots of fruit veg carbs ALL plants contain protein too and it’s more bio available to humans than meat / dariry protien , post work out you are better off properly hydrating (plain water) and eating some fruit bananas are excellent then a proper meal later , or if in a rush a huge fruit smothy .

molgrips
    Free Member

After riding, you want carbs. Recovery drink contains protein not because you need the protein but because it (supposedly) aids carb absorbtion.

ALL plants contain protein too and it’s more bio available to humans than meat / dariry protien

I’ve heard that before, but I’m a little sceptical. Plus it’s clearly not true of ALL plants.. can’t survive on grass or leaves.

eatplants
    Free Member

Yes even I would struggle to eat grass ! , the point I was badly making was you don’t need to supplement with protien you will get more than enough buy eating a balanced diet , with or without animal products

molgrips
    Free Member

That am true.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Plant protein is more “bio-available” only in sofar as it’s easier biochemically and mechanically to break down (non-cellulose) plant material to release the nutrients.

Mass for mass though, meat pretty much wins every time 🙂

eatplants
    Free Member

Absolutely right , after all meat is muscle , unfortunately with meat you also get the saturated fat and in my case chronic indigestion , but if you are getting enough from the rest of your diet , no need to eat the animals 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

Not much saturated fat in a chicken breast or piece of sirloin – but yes, in principle you should be able to get a balanced diet from both animal and plant sources – bit more diffcult if you go full on vegan, would find it hard to do without eggs and cheeses

But, back to OP question – whether you graze or kill, there’s no real need for a protein supplement, some of the more balanced “liquid meal” shakes can be a handy substitute for food if you’re rushed or endurance eventing though.

eatplants
    Free Member

Us vegans do just fine , thanks for you concern 😉 , to keep on track for the op and not turn it into will I die if I go vegan thread 🙂 , i would just say don’t worry about your protein absorption or if you are getting enough you probably are and would be better off spending your money on real food rather than expensive supplements imo

chum3
    Free Member

Thought chocolate milk was ‘the’ current thing…

hilldodger
    Free Member

the “current thing” seems to be drinking 500ml of sugary drink every 1/2 hour of riding, then chocolate milk straight after, shortly to be followed by a “why am I fat” forum thread 😆

anyway, happy weekend to all whatever you food of choice, I’m off for beer’n’a’bab 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

My food of choice for tonight, in recognition of the start of the RWC, is going to be crisps and Coca Cola 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nutritionalists… Protein absorption and doseaging advice needed’ is closed to new replies.