Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Nutrition advise please
  • thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I’d really like to try and get a bit more strength in my legs for climbing, and whilst I’m not a pie and chips regular, and have a reasonable diet, is there anyone out there that could point me in the right direction. I seem to have read contradicting info with regards to when to have carbs, and/ or protein, in relation to going training/riding. Thanks in advance.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If only there was a reliable trusted forum member who’d accept payment to design you a diet plan……..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Getting better at riding hills is all about embracing the pain and suffering.
    Lots of hard work and maybe some gym time.
    Its going to hurt. Is it hilly where you live?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Turbo, reps on bike up hills. Climbing is just your power to weight ratio. Loose weight go up hills faster. You can’t eat yourself fit. Balanced diet is all that’s required.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Yes it’s the hilly Isle of Man , most local rides start with a 3/400m climb. I’ve got sparrow thin legs, and figured a better diet might help get a bit more muscle on, in addition to slogging up the hills.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Have you considered the singlespeed diet? It will make you very strong.

As long as you don’t pussy*-out and only push to save the ignominy of a rectal prolapse.

*Such as a feline might

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

More weight I.e larger legs will slow you. You want stronger legs, fitter legs and less weight. Pro road riders have something like 5w power per kg. Say cat 3 riders about 3wkg.

Thin legs you’ve developed by long endurance rides. Easy rides up the hill. To gain strength I’d suggest short 45 min rides doing hill reps a max heart rate.

Do you mix up rides? Short fast? Long slow? Got a turbo?

My solution is a zero cost option to, just use your current bike

cloudnine
    Free Member

How many miles have you done in the last month and what elevation gain? What’s your current average ride like?

ricky1
    Free Member

Cloudnine +1
    Learning to like the pain helps,embracing it even,everyone is different in regards to food and what works for different people,good technique also helps on the climbs,doesn’t come over night though.

monde
    Free Member

Try Plyometrics. worked wanders for me for some reason.

stevious

Agree with the above saying that training will help more than nutrition, and that it’s difficult to be prescriptive about diet in any useful way.

FWIW, I’ve had success from a mixture of hill reps at low cadence (55-70 rpm) and separate high cadence sessions on the flat or indoors (bursts of max cadence or longer intervals of 105-115 rpm).

You might find that a protein drink (I just have choc nesquik) after a tough workout helps you recover better and therefore train more.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Nutrition advise please’ is closed to new replies.