Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Nutrition
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Does anyone know a decent sports nutritionist based around south of london? Not looking for anything too in depth, just a guide that says stick to this, avoid this. Not for weight loss but more to ensure i’m eating the right things relative to my lifestyle. Ta in advance.

crikey
    Free Member

‘Nutritionist’ is not a real thing; anyone can call themselves one, so I would be wary of using one.

Not for weight loss but more to ensure i’m eating the right things relative to my lifestyle.

This can’t really be that hard to work out, can it? 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Hmmm, is there anybody bona fide that deals with this thing then?

You’re probably right but googling tends to bring up so many variations i find i go round in circles. I don’t particularly like the idea of supplement shakes etc but can feel lethargic if i try and ride a couple of days in a row (up to 2 hours per go) but not sure if thats too many high GI carbs, not enough protein or just not enough sleep. 😕 Maybe i just need a drug doctor 😀

crikey
    Free Member

Dieticians are trained and regulated professionals who can and will provide good advice.

Nutritionists aren’t.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

As above, do a little background reading on how you can become a nutritionist. It’s a little bit scary when you realise how many frauds there must be out there. Hence why folk are just a tad sceptical.

Anyway, back on task. My advice is thus. Don’t get too hung about about what food to eat and when. Again, as above, you already know the difference between what is good food, and what is bad food. Do I really need to creat a list ?

The very simple ( maybe over simple ) answer is to simply cut out as much of the bad foods that you can. My own personal daemon is alcohol. Cut that out right now ( at the very least during the week ) You’d be amazed by how many calories are in that pint glass.

Proper sport scientists who can give proper advice are expensive, and unless you are racing at a high level, un-necessary. I have colleagues who teach sports science to degree level, and this is one the textbooks for their nutrition modules on the course.

The guy who recommended it to me has coached GB team cyclists, so actually knows what he’s on about.

crikey
    Free Member

…and don’t talk to me about lethargy or ‘not enough sleep’. I’ve just finished 5 nights; get on with it!

Gotama
    Free Member

5 nights……with 9 hours of sleep between each one 😉

Thanks TOD – that book looks useful.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and

crikey
    Free Member

9 hours sleep? Lol.

(note the lack of any kind of smiley; I get about 4-5 hours of sleep a day, and it gets worse as the week goes on….)

Gotama
    Free Member

Ta, links look good.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you’ve never down nights even 9 hours between each one still leaves you feeling like you have a hangover! Crikey I feel your pain, Mr MC finishes 5 nights today with about 4 hours sleep per “night” in this heat it’s awful.

Slightly off topic 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Yeah, did a summer job as a baggage handler at Gatwick working nights when i was at uni. I found it fine but then it was only for a short period of time and i had no other commitments kids etc so got home at 7 and slept until 1-2 most days.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Nutrition’ is closed to new replies.