Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Nut splitters! Ooooppphhhhh
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

So…. Just thought I would spend a lovely Sunday replacing my ARB bushes and droplinks.

Should be a ten min job…. Done many times before on my other cars. But no… The bloody nuts are corroded and rounded solid (someone previously had obviously had a go).

Angle grinder out to sort the top one fixed to the strut. Job done.

Bottom however is too close to wishbone and access is far to tight to get me 4″ grinder in.

Tried plusgas and heat but no luck. I don’t want to damage the roll bar so thinking of getting hold of a nut splitter. Are these any good?

I guess another option is to angle grind the ball side stump and drill through (the bottom nut faces away from wheel opposite to the top).

Stopped for 10 and a beer and will be back to attack it.

revs1972
    Free Member

could you get in there with a die grinder ?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yeah I could… If I had one 🙁

Might resort to borrowing the dremmel with slotting disc from work. That should do it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Dremmel should do it. Amazed what mine will happily chomp through. Good close control too around delicate bits

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Like nuts Nick 🙂 very delicate 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good nut splitters used correctly are great.

Elcheapo Cheap ones from toolstation are shite. The blade edge is soft as shit.

I have had both. My good set isn’t branded that I can but I inherited them off a friend of my grand dad’s.

HughStew

The title made we wince. I had an epididymal cyst excision on Tuesday and am walking like John Wayne after a day in the saddle.

RustyNissanPrairie

Stilsons?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Nut splitters! Ooooppphhhhh’ is closed to new replies.