• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by merrionxiz-spam.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Numpty tyre type questions
  • TheWrongTrousers

Hi all
    Please forgive naievety/lack of knowledge on the subject of tyres. I realise this might be a topic that’s been done to death…but,
    I’m an XC rider mostly, hardatails, South East of England. Usually run Panaracer Cinders in the summer and Trailrakers in the winter and I’ve been very happy with that combination.
    That’s about the sum total of my tyre knowledge ….

So, have recently bought a big bouncy full suss Enduro-type bike, which came with 2.2 Rubber Queens.
    I want to do some more ‘ambitious’ riding, Aston Hill, Forest of Dean, Welsh/Scottish trailcentres etc etc. Year-round. Hence the bigger bike.
    Now then, I would imagine that these Rubber Queens are fine in the dry but not so great in the wet, would you agree ?
    What would be a good choice of tyre for this kind of riding when it’s not so dry ? Is there an easy answer, like RQ’s in the dry, something else for the rest of the year ? What size ?
    Apologies in advance for the beginner-type questions.
    Advice much apreciated – cheers.

chrisdw
    Free Member

If you are just looking at trail centres and relatively well conditioned singletrack. The RQ’s are probably all you’ll need.

They will be fine in the wet until it becomes very muddy slop (which you rarely find at trail centres), at which point you may find they start to slip a bit. But for only occasional riding, its probably not worth getting a new set of tyres for. You can always go slop surfing! 8)

So for now I would stick with the RQ’s and then if you feel you need a bit ‘more’ go for something like a Bontrager Mud X, or a Maxxis Medusa, but I know the Bonty’s get great reviews.

TheWrongTrousers

Thanks very much Chris. These Bonty’s and Medusas, what sort of widths are we talking about ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrisdw
    Free Member

What bike is it you have?

I’d probably go for a 2.2 (not sure what sizes they come in). But the slightly narrower width will cut through the mud a bit more to find the grippyness below! But if you go too narrow the tyres lose a bit of lateral grip (and if your bike is nice and fat, the thin lyres look lame 😛 ).

TheWrongTrousers

It’s a Lapierre Spicy. I agree, I put a pair of 2.1 Trailrakers on it the other day and they do look way too skinny and a bit daft, despite being only .1″ narrower than the Queens.
    Usually use 1.95 Trailrakers and they’re great in the sloppy stuff.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Numpty tyre type questions’ is closed to new replies.