Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Numpty roller questions
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve managed to attain a reasonable level of fitness this summer and would like to keep at least some of it through the dark months to come. I’ll be getting out night riding regularly off road but I can’t be bothered with the clart more than a couple of times a week. I’m not prepared to ride on road at night more than necessary for commuting and so I’ve come to the conclusion that I fancy getting something to let me do a bit of training. I was initially thinking of a turbo but it seems that prevailing opinion on here is in favour of rollers.

So, if I’m looking at a first set of rollers then what should I be after? Plastic/Aluminium rollers? Roller Diameter? Parabolic rollers/bumpers/no safety net? Resistance?

I was basically looking at the Elite Parabolics, the TacX Antares and the JetBlack Aluminium Rollers all at <£150, should I be looking at stretching the budget?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had rollers for a bit. However they have turned out to be useless for high intensity intervals because you can’t set the resistance.

I’d still go out on the roads, but then I go out late when it’s quiet, dress up in bright colours and choose my roads carefully.

Falling off them is nothing like as bad as you think. You think you’ll go flying forwards like the car in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and crash into the garage door/workbench in a heap, but you don’t – you just fall off as if you were trackstanding.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve had rollers for a bit. However they have turned out to be useless for high intensity intervals because you can’t set the resistance.

Really? I can see that you can’t get the same resistance as a turbo but is that spinning out your top gear?

I’d still go out on the roads, but then I go out late when it’s quiet, dress up in bright colours and choose my roads carefully.

I probably will get the occasional ride in but really I can’t think of many roads round here I’d ride solo at night.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I guess you can’t set the resistance to stop you simply riding off them…

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

The smaller the diameter of the roller the more resistance you get. I have some tacx ones and they are great for longer intervals of 1-3mins. I prefer rollers over my turbo as time seems to go quicker, it feels more natural and helps to develop a smooth pedal stroke. Short ultra high intense intervals are better on a turbo as you canjyst go mental without falling off.

Longer intervals are great on the tact rollers, you just have to concentrate and be smooth. If get some put them in a doorway to learn and just bounce around. It doesn’t take long to get going and as mol said above you just don’t go anywhere if you come off.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Cheers Hopk1ns, I think that’s probably what I’m after to be honest. I think spinning at moderate resistance is more of a weakness than maximising effort up hill. I’m not a great climber but I think that’s something to work later.

Oh and east chevin hill is a couple of hundred metres away so if I want to do hill sessions I can always go there.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ve just finished a session on my rollers. Had a cold for 2 weeks and couldn’t quite face going outside to ride. I’m using CycleOps Aluminium Rollers. I was maxing out in top at 75Kmh on the speedo for my intervals and at that pace you’re generating some Watts!

crftom
    Free Member

Jet black ones are really good quality, great price on them here http://velo-m.co.uk/accessories/trainers/jetblackjbr1aluminiumtrainingrollers.html

lemonysam
    Free Member

Cheers though Ribble aren’t much more and don’t mention citylink…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Anything else I need to know then? Anyone want to tell me I’d be better off with a turbo?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have both and find the rollers far more interesting to use in that you can’t just sit there and pedal, you need to concentrate. I don’t know about the intensity of the workout you get but i feel my rollers are going to get far more use. Plus you don’t need to fiddle about changing skewers and its quieter.

wwaswas

few tips here;

(ignore the Lance quote he was clearly off his head on Crystal Meth)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1cuVRRRzM[/video]

last few seconds is actually pretty impressive.

wiltsrider
    Free Member

You’ll pick up the general idea of riding on rollers in about 10-15 minutes of starting out. Initially, make sure you stay looking ahead as if you were actually riding – looking down at the front wheel normally generates an immediate tank slapper.

Parabolic rollers are easier for beginners, but again, you’ll be fine after only a few minutes on standard ones.

If I could do it over again, I would opt for some rollers which have adjustable resistance.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Cheers, wiltsrider. Variable resistance rollers are sadly a touch out of my budget I think – though if anyone knows of any deals…

So long as there’s enough resistance that my legs get a proper workout without having to sustain massively high cadence I think I’ll be good.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Numpty roller questions’ is closed to new replies.