Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Numpty non-techie with a question for the experts hereabouts.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I understand that running two “anti-virus” programmes on the same PC can cause conflict.

Having become fed up with Kaspersky (I won’t bore you with the details), I’m considering downloading “Avast” free software (rated best of the free stuff, apparently) and using it in conjunction with the occasional “Malwarebytes” sweep.

Would there be a problem installing “Avast” anti-virus along with the free “Malwarebytes” sweep functionality?

Stoner
    Free Member

shouldnt cause a problem.

But why not just go for MSE?

scaredypants

no

(I’m no expert but, no)

emsz
    Free Member

Woppit, if you’re running windows use MSE!!

mefty
    Free Member

I switched from Avast to MSE, MSE much less annoying. I am an expert in getting annoyed by computers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Agreed, MSE is far less intrusive and annoying.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hmm. But, protects better (apparently)? Got MSE on at the mo’, emsz…

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got MSE and Trend on the same PC. It’s surprising what one ‘finds’ and the other doesn’t.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A-ha.

Cougar

Malwarebytes isn’t “AV” in that sense, it should coexist with any AV product quite happily.

Have got MSE and Trend on the same PC

It’s more surprising that it’s not on its knees.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

As I suspected.

In what way is “Avast” intrusive and annoying?

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s more surprising that it’s not on its knees.

🙂

it’s OK until they both find something wrong then it all kicks off

Cougar

Avast was pretty decent last time I used it, but that was a while ago. TBH, there’s not a lot to choose between the top few and a lot of it is personal preference.

I like MSE because, amongst other things, it’s an AV / anti-malware product and nothing else. It doesn’t pertain to be a firewall or a web filter or ICE or any other “total Internet security” twaddle that you probably don’t need. I can’t offhand think of another AV product that does this.

Cougar

it’s OK until they both find something wrong then it all kicks off

Yep, that’s one of the problems.

AV1 goes “ooh, a virus” and quarantines it.
    AV2 sees the quarantined file in AV1’s store, goes “ooh, a virus” and quarantines it in its own store.
    AV1 sees the quarantined file in AV2’s store, goes “ooh, a virus” and quarantines it back again.
    AV2 sees the quarantined file in AV1’s store…
    Your PC goes “oh gods make it stop, won’t someone think of the children,” goes blue and sits crying in the corner.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I use ESET Smart Security seems to be good not very intrusive ..just trundles away in the background until it finds something

http://www.eset.co.uk/

thomasanderson
    Free Member

It will not cause any problem. If you are using virus removal software like kaspersky, why are you moving to avast…..?
    I am using kaspersky Internet security from years and its a very good antivirus.

Cougar

I use ESET Smart Security

The ESET online scanner is very good as an emergency scan too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Numpty non-techie with a question for the experts hereabouts.’ is closed to new replies.