Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Numpty mobile phone 'mobile data' usage questions?
  • waihiboy
    Free Member

Morning,

I’m getting old and everything seems more complicated…

My contract is up on the current phone, current package only has 100mb of data, since starting shifts I’m using the phone in work, I only check email, twitter and sky news. I’ve noticed I’m going over the 100mb and are being charged roughly extra fiver a month!

I normally turn ‘mobile data’ on, open twitter for example and turn it back off then read the tweets.

Obviously I need to up my data package on new deal but how do others use mobile data?

Would I be better leaving mobile data on and setup a limit on the phone? How do others do it?

I guess all these apps use more data than I thought!

Cheers

stumpy01

I leave data on all the time, but have an unlimited data package.

I would look for something with more data allowance when you swap to a new contract. You probably will be fine with 500Mb of data, which most packages seem to have now.

100Mb really isn’t a lot.
    Depending on your phone/software version you can set warnings and limits. You can also check to see what app is using the most data.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Android, under data settings you can set a limit and see what apps use what data. Other updates may take some data, otherwise you should be able to get a chunk more data on your plan for peanuts.

waihiboy
    Free Member

Cheers,

I’m looking at an LG G3 with 500mins, unlimited txt, 500mb for £18 a month.

Ta

njee20
    Free Member

You say you’re going over 100mb, are you using less than 500? If so, that’s ideal!

I couldn’t be doing with turning data on and off whenever I wanted to use it.

stumpy01

waihiboy – Member
    Cheers,

I’m looking at an LG G3 with 500mins, unlimited txt, 500mb for £18 a month.

Ta

That sounds about right. What network is that with? Through a shop or a third party? My other half has started looking (her contract is up) so interested in any good deals that are about…

rocketman
    Free Member

100 MB is not much

mrs rocket got an unlimited data deal with her phone and with facebook/twitter/email/shopping/Strava she used about 250 MB/month (mobile data always on)

Now she’s with Three PAYG 3p/min 2p/text 1p/MB. Costs about £5/month

waihiboy
    Free Member

Hi that deal is on uswitch think it was O2.

Just logged onto Vodafone and my account, I have 250mb!!! Wtf, how can I be going over so much?

Mad

molgrips
    Free Member

You should be able to control what apps run in the background and do things.

the-muffin-man

how can I be going over so much?

Easy with modern phones – all those apps constantly send little bits of data back and forth.

And have you got your email set to ‘pull’ messages ‘not push’. On an iPhone there is a Fetch New Data setting in mail settings, there should be something similar on Android, just switch this off. You will only see new messages then when you open your mail app.

waihiboy
    Free Member

Bloody hell I’m off my rocker……. Got my knickers in a twist, just downloaded last months bill… An extra £5.64 added to bill for ‘premium rate texts’, hmmmmmm

waihiboy
    Free Member

Total mob usage last month 27.841mb

Grabs coat……

Thanks all

plyphon
    Free Member

curb your “Text 2 Flirt’ addiction

plyphon
    Free Member

Easy with modern phones – all those apps constantly send little bits of data back and forth.

And have you got your email set to ‘pull’ messages ‘not push’. On an iPhone there is a Fetch New Data setting in mail settings, there should be something similar on Android, just switch this off. You will only see new messages then when you open your mail app.

“All those packets” only amount to kilobytes of data though when in an idle state. Even in the context of 100mb limit it’s a tiny insignificant amount.

Most data is on rich content. Images, video, etc. Plain text and push data is tiny.

Don’t believe me, I hear you say as you type furiously into your keyboard – here is a factioid. An average text message is 0.0001335 MB. Pulling down a plain text Twitted feed? Not going to be much bigger! Email push data to tell you have a new message? Even smaller!

waihiboy
    Free Member

Haha think it was gadget show, cheeky bastewards, charge you for their reply txt as we’ll.

stumpy01

Yeah, very easy to go over the limit…..especially if you don’t control what apps are fetching data from the internet and how often they do it.

Have a look in Settings>Data Usage to see if you can see what is using all the data.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Numpty mobile phone 'mobile data' usage questions?’ is closed to new replies.