Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Numpty Mavic ST wheel Q – play issue.
  • Wally

So I have these new wheels, it’s cold and dark outside so I thought I would ask whilst dinner is on…just noticed rear has slight play when given side to side wobble in frame. Do I use the tool thingy that came with the wheels to tighten the non drive side of the rear wheel somewhere near the axel?

I am used to Hope – where play indicates new bearings or Shimano cup and cone.
    Many thanks – Wally.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes.

Wally

Thanks – tighten then loose of 1/4 ?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

No – that will still run the risk of over tightening them – there should be a small amount of play on an unloaded wheel (i.e.. no rider on the bike) the correct way to tension is to spin the wheel in the frame, wind the tension on till you see resistance then back off 1/8 of a turn

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=31i0XWJpI4Y[/video]

Wally

Ok Zulu – so slight play is normal in rear wheel then – It really is very slight play and me being very pedantic.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

very slight, yes.

if you wind it too tight, then when you add 75ish kilo’s of rider the adjuster unwinds in use – you’ll also likely snap the little pins in the tool.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Mavic ST wheel Q – play issue.’ is closed to new replies.