• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by rs.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Numpty iTunes/Iphone Question
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, I've got a new laptop. My iPhone is synced with my PC. I can't seem to sync the iPhone and transfer all the music on it to the laptop.

There must be an easy way to do it rather than ripping all my CDs to the laptop…?

stumpyjon

I don't think you can transfer from the iPod to a PC. You can however copy the files on the PC onto a memory stick into the relevant folder on your new laptop. You can then get itunes to add them to the library on the new laptop. However when you sync it up with the new laptop it will break the sync with the PC and delete all the tunes on the iPod replacing them with the ones on the laptop.

On a slightly related note bad syncs can seriously cock up your iPhone. Had all my tunes reclassified as other and then couldn't access them. Ended up having to download a piece of software so I could see the hidden directories on the iPhone and delete them manually. Not an uncommon problem judging from the number of hits I got when I Googled the problem.

Elmo
    Free Member

Mine automatically syncs when i plug it in.
    Any music i've bought on-line or podcasts is then backed up.
    Silly question,but is the itunes software on there?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mine automatically syncs when i plug it in.
    Any music i've bought on-line or podcasts is then backed up.
    Silly question,but is the itunes software on there?

Yes, so does mine. It's all tickety-boo on my old PC. I think you've missed the point!

I can't take the music OFF the iPhone onto the NEW laptop 🙂

genghispod
    Free Member

Take it off the iphone to the pc then, and transfer it to the laptop via memory stick.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I don't think you can do it. Its an anti piracy thing to stop you plugging your ipod/phone into a mates computer and giving him all your music. Apple's thinking is that you should trensfer all your music from your old PC to the new one. There are third party programs avaliable that let you do it however. If I remember correctly they take the music off the ipod and put it onto your PC, you then have to re import it all into itunes. Massive ball ache but it means you can borrow all your mates ipods/phones and copy their tunes. I used one ages ago called Media Widget and it worked very well, cost $25 US I think.
    Hope this helps

Hadge
    Free Member

This is all done to prevent copying of your itunes but makes changing from one pc to say a laptop a pain in the arse. Remember this though most laptops don't have big memories and so that's why I've put my library onto an external HD. You just have to remember to ALWAYS have the ext HD plugged into your laptop before you plug your iphone/ipod in as otherwise you jusr create more libraries! Doh.
    As for your question just google how to do it and you'll get the answers that way. You can always copy your music onto dvd discs as they store lots of data too.

vrapan
    Free Member

You can try the following – install itunes on your new laptop. Find a way to connect your desktop with your laptop or simply use a flash drive/portable hard drive/memory card whatever you can. Overwrite the whole iTunes folder on the laptop with the one from the PC. Open iTunes check if your playlists/raitings/songs are all there. Then plug in your iphone to your laptop.

Job done. You might have to setup how your laptop syncs to your iphone i am not sure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

and transfer it to the laptop via memory stick.

I don't have one.

I've tried using my camera memory card and the old PC just won't recognise it. It looks like I'll have to rip all my CDs again, but the iphone won't even sync with the music that's already on the laptop for some reason. It's actually a secondhand but virtually unused 'new' laptop and already has iTunes and a bit of music on it

nickc

seunti is your friend for downloading from an ipod to a computer

rs
    Free Member

set up home sharing on itunes (look in the column on the left) on both computers, you can then transfer your music from on to the other over wifi, probably even all your apps and stuff too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Old PC has no wireless…….

Can I just connect them with a cable?

rs
    Free Member

are they both connected through the same router though, it'll prob still work, give it a try.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

RS, yes they are. I just set it up and it worked, all the music from the iPhone is now in the shared folder on the laptop, but there's more than that on the PC that doesn't fit on the iPhone…..

rs
    Free Member

cool 🙂 if you go into the shared folder, you should be able to see the entire contents of the library on your old pc, you then just select what you want to import to the new one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, I can only see what's on the phone, which isn't everything…. I think. I'll check it later! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, you're right RS! 1210 tracks on the PC upstairs and 1210 importing onto the laptop here. So thats everything including the unchecked tracks that aren't on my iPhone.

Thanks very much for your help!
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So, next question, why won't the phone sync with the iTunes on the laptop? It just won't do it. The laptop/iTunes can 'see' the phone, but I can't make changes to what's loaded onto it. It just won't do anything…

Argghh!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ignore me. Done it.

rs
    Free Member

cool, well done 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Numpty iTunes/Iphone Question’ is closed to new replies.