Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Numpty iPad 2 Question
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Do these things have full usb functionality yet?

I’m guessing not, because of the way Apple has everything locked down.

The specific functionality I am after is the simple ability to connect a camera to the tablet and download photo / video – or all the other little tasks that a notebook is useful for…

… but dont want to take a notebook / laptop on hols 👿

trail_rat
    Free Member

no usb functionality yet

you can use a camera connection kit – dependant on camera to access the images in the card.

i aint used it so cant comment on if you can save them to the ipad or not !

but surely more memory for the camera is cheaper than an ipad ?

wrecker
    Free Member

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A

USB or card straight into the iPad. Need the cable though.
    Also, with ios 5 you can plug a gopro straight in and save/view the files and edit them with whatever program. Pretty cool IMHO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flibrose
    Free Member

I got the camera connection kit to download movies from the contour HD camera. Works fine. Edit in iMovie

dr_death
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1514-Premium-CAMERA-CONNECTION-Models/dp/B004RBANOG/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328001868&sr=8-2-spell

If you get one of these widgets you can connect via usb or just stick the card in…. £6.49 and more functionality then the official (£25) apple doodad. I think mine was from somewhere different and cost a tenner but you get the point.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Camera Connection kit is brilliant. Nothing else required and even I can’t mess it up.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ta all. Just seemed like a major (deliberate, obstinate) design flaw.

can plug a gopro (any camera) straight in and save/view the files and edit them with whatever program

This – just want to be able to view, edit, play, send, upload images on the go, you know, the sort of thing you’d expect a notebook / netbook / table to be able to do straight from the box…

but surely more memory for the camera is cheaper than an ipad ?

not this

wrecker
    Free Member

can plug a gopro (any camera) straight in and save/view the files and edit them with whatever program

No need to edit dude. Just trying to help 😐

rkk01
    Free Member

No need to edit dude. Just trying to help

Sorry, no slight intended… very glad of the advice!

Just made the slight change to reflect what I was wanting to do! Haven’t got a gopro, but assume it works the same with any similar input

GrahamS

Just seemed like a major (deliberate, obstinate) design flaw.

It is a definite design decision for sure.

Apple’ major selling point is that it “just works” and the way they maintain that is by having a very closed system where all the permutations can be properly tested and dealt with.

The main reasons PCs don’t “just work” is they need to support tens of thousands of different devices and a near infinite number of system configurations and software.

just want to be able to view, edit, play, send, upload images on the go, you know, the sort of thing you’d expect a notebook / netbook / table to be able to do straight from the box…

Yep. You can do all that, but you need the camera connection kit if you want to transfer the photos directly from camera or SD card directly to the iPad.

SBrock
    Free Member

no usb functionality yet

They never will have either, everything is going the way towards iCloud

wrecker
    Free Member

Fair enough. I was just trying to demonstrate that the kit is not just limited to stills. It was only with the recent software upgrade that you can do this with the gopro so I’m still chuffed with it. It’s pretty cool looking at your ride vids in the van on the way home. Great for holidays too.

SBrock
    Free Member

Great camera on the iPhone 4s, any pictures I take on it getting pushed to my iPad & iMac….. It’s brilliant and just works!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Apple’ major selling point is that it “just works”

😆

I wish that were true. I love my iPhone, my wife’s iPad is great and I love most of my iMac, but I’ve had more urges to launch the iMac out of the window than I ever have with PCs. Most if not all of the blame lies with iPhoto 11 which should be avoided by everyone. Buggy? Unresponsive? Yes to both. Maybe it’s better in iPad form but I’m not paying for it to find out.

midlifecrashes

Would this be a solution?

SD card with built in WiFi uploader

DezB
    Free Member

£4 on Ebay

Or £5 with SD Card reader

stumpy01

Blimey, the official adaptor costs £25!! And from the reviews on the Apple site, it doesn’t even appear to ‘just work’….!

That SD card with built in wi-fi is very expensive; at least £35 for a 4Gb card!

A Sandisk Extreme 8Gb Class 10 SD card costs <£10.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve got the second one DezB linked to and it works just fine, even with 20mb RAW files from my 7D. There are some pretty cool photo editing apps too like Filterstorm and Snapseed. I’d love it if they brought out a decent version of Lightroom for iPad though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

from the reviews on the Apple site, it doesn’t even appear to ‘just work’….!

Not seen those, but ours does… very well indeed. You can also use it to load movies onto your iPad without iTunes. So you can take as many as you want with you on an SD card and load them when you want.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Mine works fine, I was worried by the reviews too, but it works just fine.

Not tried it with Movies yet, do they need to be in a particular format as I have loads of AVI`s ?

The HDMI connection kit is good too, so I can mirror on the big telly 😉 or stream iPlayer etc in full HD

GrahamS

I was worried by the reviews too,

Some of them do seem a bit odd, especially the one about it no longer working after iOS 4.2 – my mum uses hers on iOS5 just fine.

do they need to be in a particular format as I have loads of AVI`s ?

For movies try the AcePlayer app (iPhone but I assume there is an iPad version).

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/aceplayer/id463242636?mt=8

It can stream or download AVI, WMV, DivX, XVid, MKV, RM, MP4 etc from your home media server or from the internets. No iTunes required.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one for £2.54 !

Drac

Me too cheers, worth a pop for that price.

grum
    Free Member

Looks the same as mine. Bonkers that they can afford to produce that and ship it from Hong Kong and still make a worthwhile profit. 😕

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve had more urges to launch the iMac out of the window than I ever have with PCs. Most if not all of the blame lies with iPhoto 11 which should be avoided by everyone. Buggy? Unresponsive? Yes to both.

Largely fine for me. >10k images on a 4 year old bottom of the range iMac (with 4GB of memory now). What issues do you have?

SBrock
    Free Member

Maybe repair Disk Permissions, iPhoto 11 running fine om my intel iMac with 4gb memory

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What issues do you have?

1. hanging when performing a simple task like rotating a photo
    2. The menu/shortcut bar keeps jumping to “last imported” when I’m in the middle of something else
    3. I am infuriated by the fact that if i want to edit a photo (in other software) that has been imported into iPhoto, I am told that I need to make a copy of it ‘cos iPhoto “owns” it.
    4. Face recognition is pants compared to Google’s Picasa
    5. I can’t have a library shared by me and my wife i.e. we each have our own Mac log on and import photos on each account, but they all go into a shared library. I have been on countless forums and tried all sorts, even resorting to calling APple. Still no help
    6. Stuff that is a doddle in other software (e.g. Picasa) is overly complicated or impossible in iPhoto e.g. making a photo collage
    7. I hate the way iPhoto saves the photos on the hard disk during importing. It makes it very difficult (deliberately I’m sure) to migrate/manage the photo collection outside of iPhoto. I could import them the “PC way” by specifying a folder to share them in, but then I’ve got to drag and drop them into iPhoto rather than have it happen for me (as it does with Picasa)

I could go on but after the last debacle I’ve decided to ditch iPhoto and return to using Picasa which gave me almost entirely trouble free photo management on a PC and looks good on a Mac too.

Maybe repair Disk Permissions

I see this as the Mac equivalent of “turn it off and on again” and it just highlights my point that they don’t “just work” at all. I am a disappointed convert to Macs, but most of the blame lies with iPhoto.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve not experienced 1 or 2. Most of the other stuff is you fighting against Apple’s way of doing things – if you work in the (one true) Apple way you’re fine. Fight it and you’re screwed.

I used to use Adobe’s photoshop library (can’t remember the name) which was equally as bad when it came to exporting and maintaining albums. The *nice* thing about iPhoto is the ‘lossless’ editing. You only appear to have one copy of each photo in the library but the original is still there and the changes you’ve made can all be undone.

At the end of the day it’s a basic photo management app and it’s perfect if your needs are basic and you want your files organised with the minimum of effort. If you want something complex you need to go elsewhere.

5. I can’t have a library shared by me and my wife i.e. we each have our own Mac log on and import photos on each account, but they all go into a shared library. I have been on countless forums and tried all sorts, even resorting to calling APple. Still no help

or across machines on a network. There are (or at least used to be) some unreliable bodges but this is really annoying. You can share across the network (not sure if it works across different accounts on the same machine) but you only see Albums and you can’t edit the original – you have to import to your local iPhoto and edit there (then reimport if you want to)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The thing is, Picasa does the lossless thing too AND I can address point 5 with it AND it is simple to use.

For years I’ve wanted a Mac and finally got one a few months ago to find that – in photo management at least – it is a considerable step backward from what I’ve used before with free software, leaving a really sour taste. I bought into the myth that Macs were good at media-related stuff out of the box. Nonsense. I’m just hoping I won’t be equally disappointed with iMovie when I finally sit down and have a go.

footflaps

I moved to Macs at home and have to say my MBP locks up much more often than my work windows PC, which gets rebooted once every few months. I regularly have to force power off the MBP and restart as it just locks up or won’t come out of hibernation. They’re good, but not that good.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Numpty iPad 2 Question’ is closed to new replies.