• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Numpty hearing aid question head phones over hearing aids
  • iolo
    Free Member

Today I was given 2 hearing aids by the nhs.
    Can i wear headphones over them or do i take the hearing aids out? I can hear music to a kind of acceptable level without but would love to hear it perfect again.

jam-bo

My mum has bluetooth ad2p enabled hearing aids.

I don’t think the NHS do them though.

antimony
    Free Member

Maybe, but they may feedback a lot. Try wearing the headphones but lift them up a little so they are over the mics (small holes on top of the aids). Otherwise you can use an induction loop (may or may not have been activated on your aids) receiver which can plug into your generic MP3 player – see here http://www.deafequipment.co.uk/catalogue/189/Personal-Inductive-Listening

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Most digital hearing aids including NHS should automatically cut out feedback once detected if not then you will have a fitting issue that can be resolved by any audiologist worth their salt. However I’m very excited about a product launch I’m attending tomorrow for new iPhone hearing aids Halo.

Also you may need a dedicated music programme for music which may help, but as hearing aids are made for speech it’s an issue to appreciate music fully with hearing aids, unless you can afford to invest in Widex Dream hearing aid technology with true input technology and the best hearing aids on the market for musicians.

Murray

My NHS ones from 4 years ago are uncomfortable and squeal with headphones. Not sure what they hand out now.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Depends on each NHS trust or AQP provider on what technology they fit i.e: open fit hearing aids using slim tube and open domes or usual type with bulky earmould that can block up your ears and feel uncomfortable. Tubing needs to be replaced every 3-6 months also earwax can be an issue. There are some great accessories that you can stream music directly into your aids NHS or private via the loop or telecoil instead of headphones, whereby your aids become headphones.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve got a danalogic i-fit either 71 or 81.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

That means you have an open fit system so you have a mild/moderate high frequency loss so wearing headphones should be ok, give it a whirl and if you have problems email me and I can advise on what to ask your audiologist and on alternatives.

iolo
    Free Member

Many thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Numpty hearing aid question head phones over hearing aids’ is closed to new replies.