Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Numpty Gmail question, read recipet how?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello working off GMail and I need to get a read/received receipt……….where is it in Gmail?

yours ineptly

ourmaninthenorth
    scotroutes

FWIW, I have Read Receipts switched off, so it doesn’t prove anything. 😀

tomd
    Free Member

Nothing shouts “douche bag” like a read receipt request. Most email programs prevent you automatically sending read receipts to the sender anyway so they’re pretty useless. As a rule, I never send a read receipt. If it’s important ask the recipient to reply and confirm or call them up to check.

vondally
    Free Member

personal

I have aske the person to respond but now on a 3rd round of unanswered emails

midlifecrashes

Pick up the phone and dial.

tomd
    Free Member

That sounds pretty poor, but as above even if you send a read receipt they will get a pop up saying “sender has asked for read receipt, do you want to send read receipt?” which they can just decline if they’re being obstructive.

Time to move on to wee in shoes I’m afraid. Or the telephone.

zilog6128

This isn’t the nineties where they have to dial-up to check their email! Unless they’ve fallen into a black hole they’ve got your email, read it, and are ignoring you I’m afraid! FWIW you can get read receipts with paid Gmail although that still doesn’t guarantee you’ll get one back.

alexxx
    Free Member
    vondally
    Free Member

cheers

piemonster

http://verify-email.org

Or similar might be worth a punt, just to eliminate one possibility.

Cougar

I like how that Mailtrack thing has a “how it works” section on the site and then don’t actually tell you how it works. I’m guessing they embed a breadcrumb in the email which pings back to their servers; if that’s what they’re doing then it’s readily avoidable by the recipient, indeed a lot of modern email clients block this sort of “phone home” behaviour by default now.

There’s no reliable way to know if a regular email has been read (unless you have control of the recipient email server, anyway). There are various ways to tell if an email has been opened but if you get a ‘receipt’ of any form then all you really know for sure is it’s arrived, could be a preview pain or something, you don’t know if it’s actually been read. Conversely, if you don’t get a receipt, it tells you precisely nothing you didn’t already know.

Actually, that’s a lie, there is a reliable method. Contact them via another method (eg, telephone) and ask, “did you get my email?”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Gmail question, read recipet how?’ is closed to new replies.