Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • numpty gen x IT question……
  • easygroove
    Free Member

I'm in the special needs group when it comes to IT, so pls bear with me.

I have a new DELL Inspiron laptop. It has Windows 7. It isnt connected to interweb yet, would need to transfer modem connection.
    Anyway the hard drive is partioned with C 58GB and local disk D 397GB.
    I have transferred most of my docs, pics etc from old pc to laptop and it has gone to C drive, leaving 6gb free.

can i make the hard drives more equally balenced in size, should i move all my files to the larger drive ? Grateful for assistance and simple instruction!

ji
    Free Member

JUst move them over to D. Normal way is C for programes etc and D for docs.

You can change the sizes, and get rid of the stupid partition entirely (it doesn't really serve a useful purpose) but the process is reasonably techy and has a few risks.

disco_stu
    Free Member

its worth keeping the D drive for docs as if you need to reinstall windows for whatever reason then you can format and reinstall C with no problems

retro83
    Free Member

bung them on D:, you can then change where the documents icon points to so that when you go to My Documents or whatever its called now, it will be using the D: drive

GrahamS

Sounds like what you should do is change it so it puts the "Users" folder on the D drive.

GrahamS
    easygroove
    Free Member

how do i get rid of the partition – i hvae no room for itunes

retro83
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Actually having just researched it, moving the Users folder in Win7 sounds like a total pain in the arse.

Yes but you don't have to do any of that. Just click the Music folder, go to the location tab, click Move then OK

Just do that for all the folders that come up when you click your username on the start menu

GrahamS

Yep, bit rubbish they couldn't provide a similar mechanism to just move the whole Users folder in one go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘numpty gen x IT question……’ is closed to new replies.