Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Numpty error to end the year on!!
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok very embarrassed to admit this. Have had two spare inner tubes in my pack for past year. Today was off for a couple of hours around Devil’s Punchbowl and got a puncture in middle of Thursley Common. No problems as I am fully prepared!!!….

….er no!! Wrong valves. Dont fit the bike. Dooooh!! Long walk back to road and wait for a pick up. What a carp way to finish the year. Am I alone in making such a stupid, beginners error?

However, to make up for our commie/capitalist friend I am off to LBS for some new inners and to leave the bike for a long overdue service!!

jimw
    Free Member

I haven’t done that but I have had a puncture, used spare tube, got home, thought I had put new spare tube in only to find when I had next puncture…. yes, you can see where this is leading… I had put old punctured tube in pack instead. luckily I was riding with someone else,who had a tube, but I did endure a bit of gentle banter (!) for a while after

scaredypants

does the “tie a knot over the hole” thing not really work then ??

(course, tubeless is the answer 😉 )

devs
    Free Member

Nobody carry patches nowadays then?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Not alone, decided to switch to CO2 rather than mini pump – lighter, neater, flashier all good 🙂
    Just remember to put the little CO2 chuck in your pack as well as the cartridges or you’ll feel a right fred when you need to use them 😳

jimw
    Free Member

After that incident, yes I do carry instant patches as well!

portlyone

I’ve done similar but the rim was drilled for schraeder and had a little round insert to make it presta. Never saw the insert again though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes done that and also broke a pump about 8 miles from home so now have a good one

I carry patches anyway.

FWIW I once turned up to do the high street without a chain on my bike …beat that for stupidity 😳 I always ride my bike to the car now

blades2000
    Free Member

I was touring off road with a trailer which had a 12″ wheel. Trailer punctured, no problem I have patches….. Sadly the glue for the patches had dried up.
    I rode 5 miles pulling the trailer until I got to the road then stashed the trailer and rode 12 miles to get my car then returned for the trailer. Lesson learned always check you have the right spares.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Still bonus – found out that LBS does free demo’s. So ride booked for Wednesday.

RealMan
    Free Member

Been with someone who had 26″ tubes, and of course was riding a 29er..

cheers_drive

I went through 2 tubes in the Lakes with after a tubeless blowout then a multiple pich flats. Luckily I had a 3rd tube, or it would have been lucky if it was a 26er tube not and 29er.

devs
    Free Member

A 26″ tube will stretch to fit a 29er. As a trail fix but I wouldn’t ride it for long after rtb.

sambob
    Free Member

Amazed how many of you didn’t have patches 😯 I really need to get another mech hanger before I need one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Patches were in my road bike pouch!! Lesson learned though!!

chakaping
    Free Member

I once turned up to do the high street without a chain on my bike

That’s good. 🙂

My numptyish error was spending about an hour changing the axle on my Pro 2 rear hub last night and failing at the very final hurdle by putting the spacer caps in the wrong sides.

Couldn’t remove one and had to go and borrow Dad’s molegrips today to extract it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Once went all the way to North Wales for the weekend, from London, in the vayn, only to discover that my bike had spd pedals fitted yet I’d left the shoes behind….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Numpty error to end the year on!!’ is closed to new replies.