Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Numpty error!
  • palmer77
    Free Member

Hello,

I have a road bike with an Easton EA30 wheelset. I changed the cassette to a Shimano 105 10 speed about three months ago. This came with a 1mm spacer which I fitted.

I recently I bought a Shimano Ultegra 6700 wheelset, which is I believe 10 speed specific. I was in a bit of a hurry to fit these before a ride and subsequently didn’t properly read the instructions. When I fitted the cassette I did so without the spacer believing this was not needed.

I since have been on two rides and riden about 190 miles as it was. I have gone to clean the bike this afternoon and took the wheel off to clean the cassette and noticed the middle sprockets loose on the freehub.

I removed the cassette and this was due to the spacer being missing. My question is, having riden it in this state, would I have done any damage to the freehub? When I fitted it I had tightened it to 40Nm, but I am wondering that without the spacer would the reverse of the cassette come too close to the hub? Also the lockring would also have gone an additional 1mm into the freehub, would this be a problem?

The cassette itself has a slight indentation on the corner of the splines of the carrier, and the 11 tooth sprocket has a slight indent where it has been tightened. Are these issues? The freehub itself seems ok, but as the lockring was tightened against this instead of the cassette stack I am concerned I may have damaged it.

Thanks a lot.

meehaja
    Free Member

sent from phone? I don’t think It will have caused any significant damage if it all worked. maybe some cosmetic damage?

palmer77
    Free Member

iPad 🙂

When I tightened up the cassette finger tight with the spacer on there seemed more movement in the cassette than I would expect. Since tightening it up to 40Nm it appears ok. I would rather change the cassette if the splines are damaged on the carrier than damage the freehub, am I being overly bothered?

Thanks

palmer77
    Free Member

Evening bump

njee20
    Free Member

You won’t have done anything whatsoever.

palmer77
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Numpty error!’ is closed to new replies.