Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Numpty coil spring questions…
  • grum
    Free Member

I really like the coil shock I’ve put on my Pitch (DHXsomethingorother 🙂 ) but it does make the bike a bit weighty. I was thinking about buying a second hand Ti spring.

1. Does the TFTuned spring weight calculator mean rider weight all kitted up? And if so how much would you add on for clothes, full face helmet, pads, and possibly armour etc (I don’t own any scales)?

2. The Pitch apparently has a 2.25 stroke length – so a nukeproof Ti 2.25″ spring would fit?

Thanks!

grum
    Free Member

Anyone?

stevomcd
    Free Member

1. Weight in your “normal” riding kit. I’d add about 5kg for clothes, shoes, helmet and a light pack.

2. Yes, in theory. NukeProof springs do definitely fit on DHX coil shocks, as long as you get the “oversize” version (which seems to be the most common one). I think I actually have a 3″ nukeproof Ti spring on one of my Alpines ‘cos I went for the closest figure to the 2.8″ on the original Fox spring, but it’s a bit long and barely fits on. (A Fox 2.8″ spring is for a 2.5″ stroke shock).

grum
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I saw one second hand and the ad said it came off a DHX5 so presumably it is the oversize one (didn’t know there were different versions!).

I gathered something about Fox and other companies measuring them differently but got a bit confused. 🙂 I reckon it’s worth a punt for £60 and should be more the right weight for me than my current spring anyway.

By the way I intend to come on one of those holidays with that company that’s something to do with you but you don’t like to mention ( 😉 ) – hopefully next summer, just need to persuade the missus.

GW
    Free Member

is a 100g saving right in the centre of your frame really going to help you?

grum
    Free Member

I was under the impression it was more like half a pound (could well be wrong though), but no it’s not going to make a massive difference I suppose.

GW
    Free Member

Nope!
    What does your current steel spring weigh?
    and what rate is it in lb?

Fox steel springs aren’t all that heavy and you’ll be lucky if a Nukeproof 2.25 x 400lb (for ref.) spring comes under 300g.
    You’ll lose more weight the longer the spring length and higher tha rate but I still wouldn’t expect more than 150g saving even if you are a pieboy.

BruceWee

Interesting article about steel and titanium springs here.

At the end of the day, we will probably settle on using the 400#1 spring. She’s ridden this spring and has had good results with it. Also, as this spring approximates a true 400# spring, we can order a titanium spring now with more confidence that the behavior of the two springs will be similar. High end titanium springs will be far more accurately produced that commercial steel springs.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The weight savings for Ti versus steel springs are not consistent, even between springs of the same dimension. Have a look at the weights section on Sicklines under the suspension/rear springs part and you’ll see what I mean.

Personally, having weighed the two springs I have in my garage – a Nukeproof Ti and a Cane Creek Steel, both being identical in dimension (450lbs/inch 2.25″ stroke) the weight saving is about 280g.

You will get less saving if you end up going for a Ti spring that has a longer stroke than you need. As long as the force rating is the same, it doesn’t matter whether you put a 3″ stroke spring on a 2.25″ stroke damper – the force rating determines the rate of compression (of course the longer spring might not actually fit).

To maximise the saving, go for a spring with the right stroke length, that way you’re not carrying around extra coils you don’t need.

As for whether even 150g of weight saving is worth it, that’s a matter of personal choice. 150g here and 150g there pretty soon adds up to being material so as long as you’re pockets are deep enough, there is a lot to be gained (or rather lost) in the weight of your bike.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Ti is prettier too 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Personally, having weighed the two springs I have in my garage – a Nukeproof Ti and a Cane Creek Steel, both being identical in dimension (450lbs/inch 2.25″ stroke) the weight saving is about 280g.

they may be labeled the same stroke/rate but other than that your two springs are not identical in dimension at all.
    OPs question seemed to be specifically about replacing a Steel Fox spring (quite light as steel springs go) with a Nukeproof Ti spring(quite heavy as Ti springs go) I’d be surprised if his total weight saving was over half what you’ve quoted above.

To maximise the saving, go for a spring with the right[b] a shorter stroke length[/b], that way you’re not carrying around extra coils you don’t need.

Just make sure there’s still at least 2.5″ of space between the coils.

been running shorter stroke rear springs on my bikes for years.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve a nice 400 lbs Progressive spring for sale if that’s the right weight.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Numpty coil spring questions…’ is closed to new replies.