Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Numpty car mechanical question
  • nicko74

So it looks like my car’s developed a failure catastrophic oil leak; what looks and feels like oil is splattered all over the inside of a front wheel arch, and in a large puddle underneath it.

Dumb question, but what’s the first step from here? Check the oil level at standing to see whether there’s any left in there? Start the engine to get it running, then check the oil level? Don’t touch the engine in case there’s no oil and it does serious damage to start it?

Obviously I’ll be ringing the garage today, but I’m guessing their first question will be “what’s the oil level?”.

Dumb question, but bike maintenance is about as much as I can handle, mechanically speaking…

bigyinn
    Free Member

If its in the wheel arch it may well be brake fluid!
    Check all your fluid levels NOW beofre driving it.
    Check engine oil, p/s fluid and brake fluid levels. Whichever one is low take the appropriate action.
    Oh and you should check all fluid levels with the engine off on level ground and left for 10 mins or so for fluids to settle down.

fadda

And don’t start it first! As you thought, this could quickly do serious damage if there is, indeed, no oil left…

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Apart from the above, get under there and have a look if you can see the source. Did the engine sound rough before you parked up?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

check oil level using the dipstick – if none you have no oil and probably shouldn’t be driving the car
    check the hydraulic fluid levels – you may have a hydraulic leak, which may look like oil – steering hydraulics will make the car heavy to drive and (when it happened to me with a 4*4) virtually impossible to manoeuvre at low speed, brake hydraulic leakage will mean brake failure. Cylinders look a bit like this
    and have high/low or min/max markings

nicko74

Thank you for the responses, appreciate the help. I’ll check it when I get home, oil, brake, power steering fluid levels and take it from there. Then I guess it’s time to drop my pants and say hello to the local garage…

speed12
    Free Member

If it’s in the wheel arch, it’s unlikely to be engine oil, but DEFINITELY still check it! More likely to be power steering or brake fluid. As others have said, check all three and see what the numbers say!

jackthedog
    Free Member

My money’s on a CV boot.

hora
    Free Member

Are you sure its oil?

When my water pump started to let go it looked quite viscous on the ground under the car/gravel/dirt mixed in made it really hard to discern.

Check ALL reservoirs. DONT drive it to a garage until you are doubly-sure.

CV boot is thicker- almost grease like in consistency when its chucked around by the CV joint.

singletrackmind

Split CV gaiter , spinning driveshaft spraying grease all over the inside of the wheel arch.

singletrackmind

@Hora . Shoes arrived and are a perfect fit .Many Thanks. 😀

butcher

My money’s on a CV boot.

Yeah, if it’s a grease like substance, quite probably the CV boot. They throw grease everywhere when they split open (it’s like a rubber cone on your axle, near the wheel).

Defo check your brake fluid before you get in it though, that wouldn’t be good!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Before you start to panic, are you sure it’s not screenwash? Mine drains into the wheelarch when overflowing and when made up neat has the same colour/consistency as fresh engine oil.

Are you a member of the AA/RAC/Greenflag, if you do and have homestart then give them a ring, they’ll probably be able to figure it out and if it’s dangerous/undriveable then they’ll tow it to a garage.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

yep, more than likely CV boot wear. Turn your steering wheel full lock. ENGINE OFF / HANDBRAKE ON/IN GEAR and take a look at the rubber ‘boot’ on the wheel end of the ‘shaft’. My moneys’ on the boot being split. Not a major problem, probably new CV joint and IME it generally means the other side will follow suit. Happened to me in the past, drove it to the garage no probs.

hora
    Free Member

Its not a cv boot.

Liquid on the floor..

CV boots are packed out with grease/minimal oil. So wouldn’t drip.

I think its a pressurised pipe/reservoir in that area.

fadda

Leaky shock?

spchantler
    Free Member

come on, what is it? suspense is killing me….

stuarty
    Free Member

Sounds like brain fluid 😯

nicko74

When my water pump started to let go it looked quite viscous on the ground under the car/gravel/dirt mixed in made it really hard to discern.

Thanks everyone for the input, useful to know and good to have options.

Rubbing it between my fingers, it’s brownish, viscous, not particularly watery. I’d say it’s not grease; it’d be a light oil if it is oil. Driving the car to the shop last night after I first noticed the leak the brakes, steering and engine all seemed fine.
    This all comes after a long (400 mile) drive yesterday – parked up for 15 minutes, had some leakage. Drove to the shop, came back, left it for a couple of hours, bigger puddle underneath. This morning, puddle had mostly soaked in; layer of greasy liquid inside wheel arch. Not had chance to check yet tonight.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

TAKE IT TO A GARAGE!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Leaking shock is a good call if the fluids in the engine bay are correct.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Gear oil innit?

nicko74

I’m at a complete loss – engine oil level seems fine (dipstick measure when cold); power steering and brake fluid levels seem fine; coolant is fine; transmission fluid says it’s fine.

Starting the engine, no warning lights flash up, and yet there’s unmistakeably some kind of sticky fluid down the left hand side of the underside of the car, looking like oil, that’s attracted a fair amount of dirt.

I’ll ring the garage tomorrow, get myself lubed up and wait for their report…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Numpty car mechanical question’ is closed to new replies.