• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Numpty brake rotor question…
  • fadda

I want to upgrade my front juicy 3 from a 160 to a 180mm disc.

Do I have to use Avid discs, or will any 180mm diisc work?

TIA

HermanShake
    Free Member

Any will work, as long as they mount in the same fashion. I’m assuming we’re talking 6 bolt rotors which are pretty common.

And of course you will need a bigger calliper mount. Be aware of the mount on your fork; post mount (2 bolts going into the leg) or I.S. (2 little ears that the bolts go through) and the corresponding for the calliper; Juicy’s are post mount.

Excuse me if you know the above, just helping!

z1ppy

Most disc’s will work, occasionally you find one is slightly wider than others but in my experience I’ve never had an issue.
    IIRC I bought magura disc’s for Avid’s before now.

fadda

Brilliant – thanks both.

Herman – I did know, but many thanks for the extra help, too.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If the brake track is narrower than the width of the pads you’ll be braking onto the rotor arms. That’s not necessarily going to be an issue, but you may not get the best performance and are more likely to have trouble with vibration, pulsing and noise. Most manufacturers are within a mm or two or each other, but it’s worth bearing in mind.

igm

Make sure the disc and mount match – there are discs at 180, 183 and 185. Might not make a difference on your bike, but it did on one of mine when I got it wrong.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Numpty brake rotor question…’ is closed to new replies.