Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Numpty Boiler Question
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Hi

Recently bought our first house, the heating system is a mixture of a “back boiler” hidden behind a fireplace in the living room, and a separate immersion heater upstairs in one of the bedrooms.

When we moved in it was all working, switching the hot water on using the boiler control panel thing gave us hot water and the radiator in one bedroom came on.

We had a plasterer in to do 2 of the bedrooms, he took 2 of the radiators off, including the radiator that came on when the hot water was on, now neither the heating or hot water works when selected on the boiler. The immersion heater still works and gives us hot water so we are getting by using that for now.

I tried to bleed the upstairs radiators and no water or air comes out, there appears to be no pressure in there, and certainly no water.

The downstairs radiators a small amount of water comes out but at a way lower pressure than you would expect.

The pump heats up, but the pipes either side of it do not, so it must be heating up as it is water cooled and there is no water in the system.

What is the problem and how do I fix it? Is there going to be some sort of stopcock somewhere that is not letting water flow to the heating system that was shut off when the house was being sold? Or do I just have air trapped in there that I need to clear?

martinhutch

s there going to be some sort of stopcock somewhere that is not letting water flow to the heating system that was shut off when the house was being sold?

Probably, yes. There has to be a means of filling the system. I would certainly be looking for that first, anyway. It wouldn’t normally be left open if the system was full.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sounds like it is probibly a vented system. You should have a small header tank for the primary system in your loft (this is spereate to the big header tank for you hot water). Check the small tank.

steve-g
    Free Member

Thanks

There do appear to be 2 tanks up in the loft, I have not yet ventured up there properly

I will go up and take a look and see if I can see how they are being filled, then get the tank filled and then shut the water off again

dooosuk
    Free Member

Might just have an air lock. I get this and have to boil the system 3 or 4 times to push it through but mine is a conventional boiler not a back boiler.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Boiler Question’ is closed to new replies.