Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Numpty alert, whats great about megaflow?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Ok, so I need more hot water, two adults & two kids need to shower within an hour.

So I ask a plumber & he suggests ‘megaflow’, now don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to take advice from a professional, but what are the advantages over a normal tank with a power shower that I already have?

From what I can see it just pressurises the hot water, but I have a power shower for that, so should I just enlarge the hot water tank from 3′ to 4′, £800 as apposed to nearly £2000 to install the megaflow of the same tank size?
    **** I’m confused, I have a conventional boiler thats knocking on a bit if that makes any difference :-/

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Enlarging the tank won’t increase the flow, it will just give you more storage.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I need more hotwater, not more flow, the power shower is great, it just won’t provide four showers without the hotwater running out 🙁

Sandwich

Bigger tank then and a more efficient boiler with the change. 😕

psling
    Free Member

I don’t know, you young pups… I remember the days when we only bathed once a week and shared the same hot water between five of us.

£800 or £2000? I’d look at the shower rota Martin! 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Peter, thats because your old 😉
    We don’t all really need a shower once a day, well I do because of the nicotine, but the three girls do because they are girls & thats reason enough, the really worrying thing is we all ‘need to shower between 7 & 8am because I’m to lazy to get up earlier (I get the 7 am slot)

Sandwich, I think that will be the plan, it would cut down the recovery time, but I’d rather not have to fork out the whole lot at the same time. That leads me to my other main concern, a pressurised system with very old fittings, a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Electric Shower 10kw at least £120plus. You would need a 60000 btu combi at least to keep up with a power shower maybe more. A girl will empty a hot water cylinder in minutes.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Inbred456, but what would that do to my electric bills, on a conventional boiler, not a combi, compared to running a power shower with a tank of hot water every 15 minutes on gas????

Sandwich

Not just girls, teenage boys in love like a lot of hot water too 😀

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Sandwich, I think I know where your ‘coming’ from, American pie?, who cleans the shower? 😉

flamejob
    Free Member

There was this one time, when I was living on a farm in Zimbabwe….

I made a hot water tank out of a 210l steel drum and stuck a 5Kw element in each end with a ball valve to supply. I lived in the pool house which didn’t have its own supply.

Lurverly… boiling water in seconds! Not very efficient tho eh?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

You probably just need a high recovery 250L cylinder. Should be plenty adequate. Will probably heat up faster than your old, smaller one too.

I’m installing a thermal store in our house later this year, using solar tubes and a log burner to supplement the existing combi.
    Combi will just be used to heat the tank then. All hot water will come from the thermal store at mains pressure via a 100kw plate heat exchanger.
    Solar will probably provide around 50-60% of total heat throughout the year, log burner in the winter another 15-20%, combi the rest.

Pickers

Numpty answer, but why not change the shower pump for one with a lower flowrate?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Numpty alert, whats great about megaflow?’ is closed to new replies.