Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Numpties on A68, speed cameras,,,grrrrrrrr
  • Woody
    Free Member

Just driven back from NE Scotland – what is it with some complete morons – clear road, 200mtr visibility, 60mph speed limit and they pootle along at between 30 and 35mph ……except….. ..except……at the only safe overtaking points they accelerate to 70mph then emergency brake when they realise there is a speed camera.

Morons, all of them, who should be shot with a ball of their own shite. 👿

Pieface

200 metre visibility but no safe overtaking spots?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A68 does not have many overtaking spots at all and two of them IIRC have speed cameras on them. There are a couple more if you know the road well.

Used to be such a fun road before it was put in the magazines as a great riding road – when loads of bornagains crashed and loads of cameras were placed on it..

Dougal
    Free Member

A68 doesn’t have a great safety record. Good fun to drive in the right conditions. Always get annoyed by folks doing 30 round bends then 70 on the straights, means you get held up for all the fun parts.

200m visibility? Best taking it easy methinks.

Pieface

stopping distance at 80 about 120 metres 200 metre visibility sounds plenty

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you know the road you will know that overtaking is not easy.

Woody
    Free Member

There are over 30 speed cameras between my house in Durham and my turn-off just past Stonehaven. Not too much of a problem in itself – the problem is drivers who go very slowly when it’s not really necessary and then accelerate quickly at any straight bit of road. They cause long tail-backs and in addition, most of those following are way too close to the car in front making overtaking safely next to impossible on the short straights. The longer straights nearly all have cameras!

I saw some horrendous overtaking manoeuvres borne out of stupidity and frustration.

Drac

If he read the OP he may understand too.

Woody
    Free Member

Much faster car or a motorbike (but not at this time of year) is the answer. Merry Xmas Drac BTW 😉

Dougal
    Free Member

stopping distance at 80 about 120 metres 200 metre visibility sounds plenty

And if you are overtaking there is also the stopping distance of oncoming cars.

Pieface

dougal – 2 vehicles traveling towards each other at 80 need how far?

point is a fast overtake in a decent car of someone going 30 should only need 100 metres at most, getting to maybe 60?

Xylene
    Free Member

Trying to draw out SurfMat into the wild again.

Good try, but he won’t bite this early on.

GW
    Free Member

drive up their arse flashing your lights until they let you overtake, then slow down and left foot brake the **** into the verge!

Woody
    Free Member

Tempting GW – BTW you have the same initials as me 😉

point is a fast overtake in a decent car of someone going 30 should only need 100 metres at most, getting to maybe 60?

Duh – as I’ve said twice ^^ they don’t stay at 30mph…………. 🙄

GW
    Free Member

if your name is “Gok Wood” I’d be most impressed 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

How about leaving a good long gap between you and the car in front and use that to accelerate thereby reducing your time on the opposite side of the road. Works for me.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe it’s ‘Good Wok’?

Woody
    Free Member

I like that – Gok has a nice ring to it 😆

SBZ – ideally yes, if people didn’t drive like muppets that would work.Unfortunately when you have 4 or 5 cars nose to tail behind the slowest car it makes for a long overtake……and that’s while praying that one of them doesn’t pull out without checking their mirror 😯

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Those cars will soon brake if you start to make space for yourself.

Woody
    Free Member

True but I tend to save the strong-arm tactics for when I’m surrounded by 4 tons of metal and flashing lights!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Numpties on A68, speed cameras,,,grrrrrrrr’ is closed to new replies.