Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Numpties and the snow
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Maybe its just me but this news piece really boils my piss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21751709

Oh what’s that, severe weather warnings in place? Well I’ll just use my car needlessly and then bitch and moan about the Council and Highways agency, despite venturing out in my car against best advice.

We had all this at the beginning of the year. Just look at the volume of traffic in the clip. Do these people never learn?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Do these people ever learn that these people will never learn?

trail_rat
    Free Member

must be low on dough

as i say countless times its not the highways fault its not the councils fault ITS PEOPLES FAULT

if you dont have winter tires on your car – keep your car off the road in snow – then those of us whos journeys are important enough that we feel the need to fit winter tires to ensure we can complete them can carry on without muppets blocking the road.

meanwhile i took the mtb to work as id taken the spikes off the commuter in the snow yesterday – and took the offroad route where i saw NO CAR – was ace.

zovelo
    Free Member

Ha. No,they never learn.
    Love the term “boils my piss”. Looking forward to using it myself very soon. Thanks

joao3v16
    Free Member

as i say countless times its not the highways fault its not the councils fault ITS PEOPLES FAULT

One of the foundations of modern society is that everything is always someone elses fault. 😉

At least, that seems to be the prevailing mentality.

johnellison
    Free Member

if you dont have winter tires on your car – keep your car off the road in snow

Cobblers. I’ve never fitted winter tyres and never had a problem.

But I do live in Saudi Arabia.

johndoh
    Free Member

Perhaps they felt their journeys were important but perhaps they didn’t fit winter tyres for other reasons?

Some or my journeys are important but I would never fit winter tyres.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Perhaps I’m low on sugar this morning and am feeling ratty.

Plus the inane line of questioning from Suzanna and Bill wasn’t helping matters either. Neither was Cheryl exclaiming that despite her children having a car accident she still decided to venture out in her car!

Drac

I got stuck the other night at work first time I’ve ever been stuck and it wasn’t ‘that bad’ but what had happened was the snow had melted, froze and it snowed again it was lethal. Slid past a junction too as the wheels refused to turn the vehicle so had persuade it by flicking the back end to get through on the opposite side of the junction. 😳

grievoustim
    Free Member

To be fair to a lot of these people – the forecast was not that bad, and it wasn’t snowing when they left for work in the morning. Most people were just trying to get home from work

Cheryl Baker on the other hand decided to drive from Kent to brighton to “help” her grow up kids who have already had an accident in the snow – she is an idiot

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Perhaps they felt their journeys were important but perhaps they didn’t fit winter tyres for other reasons?

Some or my journeys are important but I would never fit winter tyres.”

dont moan if you get stuck and kindly get stuck off the road then.

Bear
    Free Member

Roads were rubbish around my way, but my van managed everything.

I still don’t understand why people have to go out in the weather, surely not all their jobs are that important?

I decided not to go today as risk crashing / being crashed into, van off road for more days etc. I’ve got a mountain of paperwork / catching up on STW to do anyway!

jam-bo

fitting winter tyres in abergloom would seem prudent.

brighton & hove? not so much…

rossi46
    Free Member

Love the term “boils my piss”

I second that 😆

I live in the ‘warning’ zone in Kent, i just had to laugh at ‘all’ the snow we had- it nearly came up to my ankles and everything!
    😆

hallz
    Free Member

Pretty much the first thing I said to the missus this morning was what an ar$e Cheryl Baker must be. She commented that I had woken up in a typically grumpy mood which i thought a tad unfair.

Anyway the BBC have released aerial footage link of the extent of the terrible conditions. What surprises me most is that the sloping roofs of houses don’t even appear to have much snow on them! This whole snow issue seems to be being blown out of all proportion but then again, thats generally what happens when the south and south west gets a few flakes of snow!

Oh and another thing – how many times will i read about “blizzard” conditions?! Its a few snow fluuries FFS. Captain Oates would turn in his grave.

RANT OVER!

Right, i’m just popping out, i may be some time… 🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if you dont have winter tires on your car – keep your car off the road in snow – then those of us whos journeys are important enough that we feel the need to fit winter tires to ensure we can complete them can carry on without muppets blocking the road.

Pahhhhhh, winter tyres? Please get off the road, they’re only good below 7degC, not in snow, for that you need snow tyres, with studs. Anything less and it could be a baby robins face next time.

Most drivers would be better off with a little more paitience than winter tyres. Only time I’ve felt in need of something better was decending the 1in4 switchbacked road down to my parents house after ignoring the road closed sign and about 8″ of snow. Got halfway down and figured if it got any worse and went wrong that’s why I was paying through the nose for car insurance. 1st gear and not touching the brakes and we made it.

richmtb

Problem is it only takes half a dozen or so muppets to completely block a road.

Then even with winter tyres on you are just as stuck as everyone else.

Mandating winter tyres is probably the only answer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Problem is it only takes half a dozen or so muppets to completely block a road.

Then even with winter tyres on you are just as stuck as everyone else.

Mandating winter tyres is probably the only answer

Then you just end up with mupets with too much confidence in their tyres blocking the roads.

fasthaggis

To be fair to a lot of these people – the forecast was not that bad, and it wasn’t snowing when they left for work in the morning. Most people were just trying to get home from work

I think this ^^ plus the huge volume of traffic doon South.
    When there is a wee bit of snow and ice added to the day ,It only takes a couple of cars or a lorry to cause gridlock .

jam-bo

When there is a wee bit of snow and ice added to the day ,It only takes a couple of cars or a lorry to cause gridlock

fixed…

Bear
    Free Member

this was the trouble and the reason no snow on the roofs

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/891745_609652989061814_749944496_o.jpg

possibly blew a lot of the salt off the roads too I would imagine.

binners

Problem is it only takes half a dozen or so muppets owners of rear-wheel-drive German vehicles to completely block a road.

FTFY.

Actually…. Sorry. My apologies. You were right first time. 😀

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Whoever has enough money to buy some Winter Tyres, please buy me some. I never got stuck, but I don’t have spare cash to splash on a second pair of tyres for the car. I have loads of tyres for the bike though.

johndoh
    Free Member

We didn’t moan – we said thank you – after getting stuck in a dip between two hills on the way to our kids nursery. A bloke in a proper 4WD with appropriate tyres on was helping lots of mums in fancy cars out of it.

😀

But the reason I won’t fit them is because although they may help once or twice a year in snow, they are less safe in other conditions as the stopping distances are increased over standard fit tyres.

So I thought about it and, on balance, decided they weren’t for me.

john_drummer
    Free Member

what snow?

Jason
    Free Member

I had a meting in Kent yesterday afternoon,when I got there it was snowing, but not settling. Three hours later when I left there was a light covering of snow over everything, it wasn’t deep but had made the roads very slippy – much more than it looked. I think the snow had originally been melting, then the temperature dropped a few degrees below zero and the water froze on the roads. I only saw one car that had slid across the road into an embankment.

I wondered at one stage if I was in for an epic journey back to Surrey, but oddly once I got on the M25 and past the M23, all the snow had gone and the roads were normal.

jock-muttley

… and that’s why I have a 20 year old Classic Rangie sat on the drive… 😉

The ability to read an OS map is handy too.

Had a similar experience once with snow falling then thawing then freezing solid on the A720 Edinbugh Bypass, outside lane was clear so just stuck her in bottom box, locked the centre diff and gently trickled my way home passing all the traffic in the inside lane at about 10MPH. Felt smug at all those who tried to follow my trick and just failed as they weren’t in a 2.5 ton AWD vehicle with decent tyres on and the ability & experience to use it.

Always had a landy of one sort or another for these instances never failed to get home and never met any significant delays (just driven round it).

Proper Planning and Preparation prevents piss poor performance

rossi46
    Free Member

Anyone tried these from Halfords?
    £60 for a pair seem reasonable…..

Bunnyhop

Yesterday we did experience something that was as near to a blizzard as there ever was in this lovely country of ours.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tinas – i take it from your responses you have not tried them then .

infinately better in snow than normal tires.

its below 7 at commuter time for a significant portion of the year up here.

most folk up here run winter tires in winter. those that dont get no sympathy , much like the BMW stuck at the bottom of a dip (on the westhill blackburn road for those that know it) with no traction to get up the otherside- a group of us pushed him into the passing place off the road and carried on with our day. quite a few of the same model car with winter tires got up the hill no bother – i know as we were all joking about there being no more room in the passing place once we pushed the other fella out the way.

and frankly if your stuck in england i dont really care – do what you like , it wont help.

B_Leach
    Free Member

Meh, Barely a sprinkle of snow in Sheffield, with none on the roads. And what were we stuck behind crawling down a large winding hill? The ugly bastard child of the Chelsea tractor craze, the Range Rover Evoque. A car that should have been more than capable of bombing down the hill, hamstrung by an idiot driver. Money > sense.

A little balance on the other side of the fence for you all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“And what were we stuck behind crawling down a large winding hill?”

wheres the double facepalm meme when you need it !

“A car that should have been more than capable of bombing down the hill, hamstrung by an idiot driver.”

post of a trolly troll surely or moron , not quite sure. 4 wd and all the electronics in the world doesnt defy the laws of both gravity and friction.

Northwind

I had a great time yesterday, went out for a completely gratuitous drive up in the hills to see if I could get stuck. Nearly managed it this time!

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Pahhhhhh, winter tyres? Please get off the road, they’re only good below 7degC, not in snow

Not sure if trolling.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure if trolling.

Treading the fine line between tongue in cheek and trolling.

infinately better in snow than normal tires.

I’m sure they probably are, I was being tongue in cheek at that point. My point was that for the few journeys where conditions are so crap that I actualy want ‘better’ tyres, leaving 5 minutes erlier and driving that little bit slower had the same result (making it to the destination).

Interestingly Norway recently changed the law that made studs a requirement. They resoned that as long as snow tyres were mandatory (as distinct from winter tyres) and 50% of the drivers continued to use studs then the surface would be churned up enough to make studs non essential to the other 50%.

garage-dweller

While I have no doubt winter tyres are a (significant) advantage I have yet to encounter conditions in the South that a well treaded set of summer tyres couldnt deal with if the car is driven appropriately.

Granted I don’t drive a rear wheel drive german car (front wheel drive mid to large is my preference) and I dont have to drive in the little lanes / tops of the Downs much but for urban areas and major commuter routes you should not NEED them.

I suspect the further North you get or the more rural you live the more I would think the cost makes sense.

I suspect part of the issue with accidents is people’s mistaken belief that their 4wd/uber auto with all the whizzy gadgets means no matter what they do the car will save them. Glad I learnt to drive before all that electronic stuff was the norm. Only owned one car with ESP and used to keep it turned off in the snow to temind me to keep it slow and careful. Take away the false safety net – focus the mind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

spoke to some norwegians who were laughing at how hopeless this country is in a tiny little bit of snow when they were over visiting my office before xmas.

the change they have made is that studded tires are taxed in urban areas. They still have as they always did a mandatory winter tire policy between certain dates and that you must have 4.

you can run studs , winter tires or mud and snow tires.

alot of folk chose to run studs so they can drive up the untreated roads to their family cabins in the hills

KonaTC

Its not just snow that catches people out I remember seeing two blokes stood on top of a 4×4 in a river only a few months ago,

modern cars are too easy to drive, which lulls most drivers into a false sense of security that everything will be fine

and if not someone will be there to ‘rescue’ them.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The reason there was no snow on the roofs is that the winds were gusting to 50mph. We decided to avoid travelling – and spent the morning in bed instead 😉 FTW. 😀

hels
    Free Member

You can buy a car with ESP ? Does it predict traffic jams ? That useful I want one !

johndoh
    Free Member

Does it predict traffic jams ?

Yes, lots of modern cars have satnav with built in live traffic information. Mine does.

Perhaps you just can’t afford a car like that? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Numpties and the snow’ is closed to new replies.