Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Number Unavailable, any way of blocking these calls.
  • bruneep

After what seems the gazillionth silent number unavailable call today, is there any effective way of blocking/stopping them?

We are registered with the TPS.

zilog6128

If you have a jb iPhone get iBlacklist from the cydia store. You can set it to reject any number (including unknown) as soon as it comes in – you won’t even know it’s happened. No doubt there is a similar app for android (not my area though)

bruneep

this is the house phone not a mobile.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Get a new number, then only give it out to mates. No surveys or any companies. Use your mobile for business to get hold of you

nickdavies

Yeah, you just add it on to your BT service to block withheld calls. No faff to do, but I think it’s about £4 a month or something.

(+ the 11 hours on the phone to BT’s call centre at 0845 rates to set it up…)

maccruiskeen

Get a new number, then only give it out to mates. No surveys or any companies.

You’re unlikely to get a ‘new’ number, you’ll get a number that used to belong to someone else, so whether you get cold calls depends on who had the new number before you…… and who they owed money to.

bruneep

Yeah, you just add it on to your BT service to block withheld calls. No faff to do, but I think it’s about £4 a month or something.

That service only blocks Withheld numbers not number unavailable.

Looking at this http://www.cprcallblocker.com/index.html

Harry_the_Spider

Answer it and if you actually get somebody give them a blast on an air horn.

Greybeard
    Free Member

If it’s a BT line, you can call their Nuisance Calls Advice Line on 0800 661 441. They can put a trace on it, find the number that’s calling and block it.

Also some advice silent calls on TPS, 5th item down
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/contactfaq.php

firestarter
    Free Member

I was getting them and after numerous bits of abuse from me I lent a railway warning horn from work. Next call I said I’ll just get the home owner and blasted him, wife went mad but not had a call since 😉 apparently its quite naughty to do that tho 😉

houndlegs
    Free Member

Never used these myself,but seen many on other forums who absolutely swear by them
    https://www.truecall.co.uk/home.aspx
    If I recall its about a 100 quid to buy

Pieface

If they ask for someone, just say you’re going to get them and ask if they mind waiting. Then put them on hold and ask every few minutes if they’re still there and that you won’t be much longer.

Pieface

TPS registration won’t stop them, but if you mention that you’re registered the call normally ends quite quickly.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

IME “Number Unavailable” calls – as in what you get told when dialling 1471 – originate from India. Once you answer one, at say 4pm, then you get more and more at 4pm.

I dont think there is anything you can do to stop them. CLI if with BT / if your carrier does it, at least shows up on the phone (either out-of-area or number-unavailable) so at least you can ignore it.

Annoying fickers rang us just after midnight last week.

barkm
    Free Member

we were plagued by these when we changed to virgin media, the previous ‘owner’ of our new phone number must actually own money to the entire world. We tried telling these people they had the wrong number, but they straight accused us of lying.

So, ringer is off, has been for months, we just never answer incoming calls on it. Everyone who knows us uses our mobile numbers.
    Tbh I don’t even know why we have landlines now. we’ve only ever used ours since for emergencies, perhaps once in last year.

somafunk

I used to get loads of them, at all hours of the day n’ night but i’ve found a solution that works 100% – i unplugged my house phone and shut it in the hallway cupboard, not had a call since. 😀 Tiz annoying i still have to pay for a phone service from BT that i no longer use as i’d much rather just pay for my broadband and sack off all the convuluted BT call packages they put you on.

Anyone that knows me knows my mobile number.

Cougar

I have a theory.

Fill this in, fax it back.

http://statics.192.com/rel-3.42/downloads/C01.pdf

I’ve good reason to believe that this is where the majority of them get their database from.

ampthill

Its tragic that people have to go to the trouble of turning a phone off.

IMHO turning off a landline is a pain for friends and relatives, not for the person turning it off. I get free calls to land lines but not mobiles. So usually the only item on our bill is phoning my sister in law

DrJ

The worst is when you get calls from computers/fax machines as you have no way of telling them to F off.

Cougar

IMHO turning off a landline is a pain for friends and relatives, not for the person turning it off. I get free calls to land lines but not mobiles.

The mistake you’re making there is assuming that I have a telephone for the convenience of other people. If friends / family are unable to manage their telephony accounts effectively, that’s their failing.

I don’t know why I still have a landline. It means I have the eternal “which number do I give out” dilemma, and the only people who ever call it are spammers. I really begrudge having to pay 10-15 quid a month for “phone line rental” solely because ADSL requires it.

Blackhound

The only calls I get at home are these spammers or my mum. ANd being TPS registered really annoyed.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Number Unavailable, any way of blocking these calls.’ is closed to new replies.