Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • number of pawls and hub
  • Gilles

I swapped my rear wheel using Sram MTH-746 as hub to a different wheel with a Hope pro2 evo hub. Well the difference was just amazing i can’t believe the extra strength I had when climbing using the Hope hub. Trying to understand why, I realized that the number of pawls of the freehub body for Sram was 3 against 4 for the Hope one. So i guess that will be why? If it is, does it make sense to look for freehub body/hub with even more pawls? or are they other system which can boost your climb?

cheers.

smiffy

Sounds like a plan…

mattyfez

When peddaling the pawls will be locked into the hub body so it should make no difference?

Maybe the new wheel is just built better, less flex? Are you using the same tyre, same pressure?

The hope hub may well have faster engagement which should help a bit if you stop and then re-start pedaling?

somouk
    Free Member

Going from my WTB rims to some Hope Hoops recently I could tell the difference but I think it was more so the wheels run smoother under load thanks to better bearings more than anything else.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Best get an onyx racing hub with the sprag clutch then

Stoner
    Free Member

top fishing there OP 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ah, this is why I am so slow on a track bike. No pawls in the rear hub at all.

Northwind

I went twice as fast when I upgraded my DT240 hubs from 16 points to 32.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

Sadly the improvement isn’t linear having 120 engagement points hasn’t put me at the front of the pack climbing. But it does mean engagement point willy waving competitions are rarely lost 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Is this a troll?

epicyclo

Lots of pawls and points of engagement is very useful thing if you ride through the sort of stuff where you have to “rachet” your pedal strokes.

It can make the difference between covering that section in the saddle or on foot.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes agreed, but its going to make bugger all difference to your overall performance. It certainly wont make climbing any easier / faster (unless you’re ratcheting).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘number of pawls and hub’ is closed to new replies.