Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Numb pinky & ring finger
  • DT78
    Free Member

So for the past few weeks I've had a numb little finger & down one side of the ring finger on my right hand. Bit of googling shows it's likely to be a trapped ulinar nerve

Thinking about it, it's been on and off for a few years, but ever since I went to an osteo to sort out a really sore neck it seems to have got worse. I'm seeing the osteo again today and will see what she says

In the mean time any one else had this problem? how long did it take to fix? I'm having real trouble writing/typing and after reading stuff on the net I'm worrying about muscle wastage….

sweepy
    Free Member

Id think seiously about seeing the osteopath. I dont think theres much benefit in them, and the one time i did see one she performed acupuncture on me without seeking consent. Now I dont think this would have done me much harm (or good), but if I treated people without seeking informed consent id be dragged over the coals, and rightly so.

fadda

iT's ulnar nerve, for sure (My completely un-medical opinion!) Get some gloves with padding – I can't use the "modern" unpadded ones…

waynekerr
    Free Member

After having it for 2.5 years, I had a bit of manipulation for it from a Chiropractor, I eventually had an op for this in Sept last year, it has not made any difference, I have just learned to live with it & MTFU.

I do make a conscious effort not to sleep with my arm under the pillow type thing were it gets tightly bent & do not lean on my elbow whilst at a desk, those things aggravate it.

BigJohn

I once had some grips that had a hard raised collar at the ends. I found that when I started singlespeeding the extra time standing up pressing through the bars meant this was bruising the nerve (which takes about 6 months to heal). I swapped to Ergon grips and no problems since.

hambl90
    Free Member

i used to get very painfull fingers ( same as yours )felt like they'd been broken,it happened on really rough ground and in the end i narrowed it down to poor damping on my low end forks,i've run marz,fox and rockshox since with no problems,hope this helps.

DT78
    Free Member

Forks are pretty decent (rebas & f80s). Interesting you mention singlespeeding BigJohn as I started singlespeeding for the first time this winter.

I have got some ergon grips lying around which I used when I broke my wrist 12 months ago, didn't really get on with them, but I'll dig them out and see if that helps. (just using light foam grips at moment)

BigJohn

Play around with the angle of the flats on the grips. I like to set them so they spread the load when out of the saddle.

You might find that your grip relaxes so much that your hand can slip off. Just the once though!

rOcKeTdOg

I changed the way I slept and it stopped

The electric shock thing they test ur nerves with makes ur fingers move on their own and Is freaky weird

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I have a badly aligned ulnar nerve (at the elbow) but the problem is exacerbated by poor posture from using a computer mouse, driving etc.

My physio showed me a good stretch that has helped me a lot. Sit nice and upright, tip pelvis, open chest up and shoulders back, best doing this on some sort of stool. Have your arms by your side so the backs of your hands are facing forwards, now lift hands forward so you flex your wrists as much as you can.
    Now, with wrists flexed, fingers as straight as possible, push the heels of your hands backwards as far as possible, moving only the shoulder. Hold for a couple of seconds, relax, repeat 10 times or so.

Hope this makes sense! It really does work.

fastindian
    Free Member

DT78, you've got or are getting cubital tunnel syndrome, basically the nerves where they run through the elbow joint are being strangled, if this is left untreated it can lead to permnent loss of use of the fingers and as you say possible muscle wastage.

If you use a PC for any length of time each day you need to stop or reduce to a bare minimum and for no more than an hour at a time max. I would also stop riding the bike for a couple of weeks as the jolting/vibration can aggrivate it.

Get a shed load of ibruprofen to reduce the inflamation in the joint.

If after the above it doesnt go away you need to get refered to a orthopedic surgeon.

Dont just think it will go away on its own, it rarley does and I've got the surgery scars on both elbows to prove it!!

matthewjb
    Free Member

I had similar symptoms following a broken elbow and surgery to repair it.

I eventually had a further operation to fix the ulnar nerve (and remove some wire that was holding the elbow together).

In and out in a day and no further problems (apart from a further addition to my collection of scars).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Numb pinky & ring finger’ is closed to new replies.