Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Numb lips and tongue??
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Really odd one this, for the last 4 days I have had numb/tingly sensations in my mouth, the front half of my tongue and the inside surfaces of my lips. It feels rather like when anaesthetic is nearly worn off, but not quite. I can feel touch, though it’s rather muted and I can taste things ok too.

Clearly I would go to the doctor but I’m abroad for 2 more weeks and guess it’ll be a hassle, especially as I don’t have my e111 with me.

Any ideas what to do to help? Or if it even matters?

Only relivent Info is I’m veggie my diet has changed a very little in the last few days and I went for a run about the time it started and overheated badly. A quick Google doesn’t suggest much.

Any ideas/experience?

john_drummer
    Free Member

have you been licking batteries?

sorry, I know that doesn’t help. Where are you? In Italy the Farmacia is often really very helpful and in tourist hotspots there’s a good chance that the pharmacist will speak good English.
    Other countries may have equally helpful pharmacies

globalti
    Free Member

You don’t actually need the E111, a phone picture showing the number will be enough for most medics.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aah, that would be great if I had any idea where it was! Thanks though.

Not been licking any batteries, but I did try licking a few tree ants in Oz[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZT1mJ4iDeI[/video]

That was a few years ago, so I doubt its relivent (or was it an incubation period, DUN DUN DAAAH…!)

LHS
    Free Member

NHS direct phoneline or whatever it is called now.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That sounds potentially fairly serious to me. I can’t say this enough times on here it seems but go to the docs instead of posting on here. Luckily the numbness is on both sides of the mouth.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmmm, can’t go to the doc, might phone NHS direct, but I don’t fancy waiting on the phone just to be told that!

Thought the forum might have an answer on this one, there’s usually a passing useful person for most subjects!

globalti
    Free Member

NHS Direct will just tell you to see a Dr.

What did you eat just before the numbness came?

Any neck ache?

scotroutes

Been stung?

totalshell

i had the same after suffering a tia.. the dr said ‘ do you expect everything to be perfect all the time?’ couple of days later .. gone.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Generally I feel fine. Had a few mossie bites, might be some sort of allergy?

In my experience, things usually have a very simple explanation, so I wad hoping someone would say ” Oh, I had that it was …” And that would be the answer. I’m trying Vit. b12 now. Apparently veggies often need supliments.
    Maybe I can ask misstripes to help in some way. Or at least to take my mind off it 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What’s a TIA?

Ate before, umm, maybe bread and cheese? Nor sure now. Neck, fine in general. Spent eight hours in Walibi theme/rollercoaster park yesterday, neck got “massaged” plenty, no ache 🙂

Maybe it’s nothing then?

Esme
    Free Member

Maybe try a different toothpaste? A colleague once reacted badly to this.

Specific allergies can, apparently, suddenly appear at random, and then disappear again (according to my consultant immunologist). So you could now be reacting to your toothpaste, even though it’s been fine before.

mogrim

So where are you? Like Italy (according to john_drummer), in Spain the pharmacies are often pretty helpful.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m in the Netherlands, I might pop into a pharmacy, good ideas yes, but if there’s anything I could do myself first, I would 🙂

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Been on the Ganja at all, can make you pretty numb and post in the internet for medical advice ;-).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No I have not! Yet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

netherlands you say ?

been drinking coffee much 😉

geoffj

I’d go and see a doctor with or without the E111

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Transient-ischaemic-attack/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

He would know about it if it was a TIA. I seriously doubt it, but he still needs to go to the quacks. No need to give him a diagnosis.

totalshell

he probs would nt know about a TIA.. i certainly didnt.. was dizzy ( like drunk dizzy) and double vison for a couple of minutes.. later had one in my sleep no symptoms just numb mouth and tongue.. plenty of tests and ohs and ahs..either way no medication prescribed.. MTFU seemed to be the general consensus of quacks and mrs tts

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I had very similar symptoms in 2007, that lasted for a week. Visual disturbances and god awful vertigo, 1 week was spent in a Neuro ward. I asked about TIA’s and was told repeatedly that I would really know about it after it happened to me.

iolo
    Free Member

I went to the doctor in Portugal as I needed a prescription for some pills. My luggage was 4 days late (thanks TAP)and my E111 was in the late bag.
    I was refused access to the doctor even though I speak Portuguese and begged.
    I had to travel to the A&E department and explain exactly what it would mean for me to be without medicine. That was the last time I put the pills in hold luggage.

IHN

You should take the opportunity to give yourself a gobble; it’ll be like someone else is doing it. Or something.

nicko74

Thought this was the foundation for a joke of some sort. “I’ll just have to numb your lips, madam…”

Sorry to hear it’s not, hope it’s nothing serious…

Drac

Get it checked by a pro.

After 25 years of working in the NHS even with extra training I’ve done, which reminds me I must do some more for the trial I’m on, I’d do that as I wouldn’t know if I was having a TIA or now with that. You may well not be but I’d get checked.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I get tingly lips and tongue when my blood sugars get low…….just as a thought re your diet and exercise on a hot day plus a bit of dehydration.

Drac

I get tingly lips and tongue when my blood sugars get low…….just as a thought re your diet and exercise on a hot day plus a bit of dehydration

It’s one of the signs of Hypoglycaemia too but unlikely to be that.

totalshell

cheers for that tom.. exactly my symtoms at the time. although id never experienced vertigo before i was reassured repeatedly in a/e and later by the tia consultant that the vertigo was purely coincidental and that the tia was a given. i disputed it and asked for a second consultants opinion , only to be refered to the first consultant as he was the top guy in the NW.. the lips and tongue ‘numbness’ disappeared a lot quicker than the vertigo which lingered on and off for 9 months..

purpleyeti
    Free Member

also if you do travel with an e111 form you really should update it as they were replaced by the european health insurance card in 2006

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmmm, I was rather dizzy, felt drunk, for a couple of days…

Maybe I will go, hassle or not…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Haha, I think I’m calling the card an e111, but it’s the card I have…somewhere in the UK.

I feel pretty chipper, I’m 30 and mostly fit, though less fit than I’ve been before. Can I still have a BBQ and wine tonight?

Harry_the_Spider

I had that earlier in the year. Stress induced panic attacks according to the GP triggering a fight and flight mechanism, a side effect of which is numbness in the mouth.

The weird thing was that once I knew what it was I stopped worrying and the symptoms went away.

Stoner
    Free Member

Novacainilingus?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Fugu fish.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Wut?

Still here, a fully functional organism.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

cheers for that tom.. exactly my symtoms at the time. although id never experienced vertigo before i was reassured repeatedly in a/e and later by the tia consultant that the vertigo was purely coincidental and that the tia was a given. i disputed it and asked for a second consultants opinion , only to be refered to the first consultant as he was the top guy in the NW.. the lips and tongue ‘numbness’ disappeared a lot quicker than the vertigo which lingered on and off for 9 months..

Were you diagnosed with a Tia then? They couldn’t decide if it was epilepsy (I had what could have been myoclonus and neuros seem to jump to epilepsy first, despite some doctors thinking it’s not a seizure if you don’t back out), panic attacks or a basilar type migraine. They basically told me to come back if it became acute again and then they’d be able to make a formal diagnosis after more attacks. Never happened again so never had closure.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Could be a migraine. Are you functioning fine apart from having a fuzzy face?

spw3

Hyperventilation.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Can I still have a BBQ and wine tonight?

Of course you can, just make sure you don’t chew your lips thinking its nice rare steak eh!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Numb lips and tongue??’ is closed to new replies.