Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega, which Hope headset?
  • Mugboo

Can anybody enlighten me as to which Hope headset I need for my Mega?

Fox 36’s with 1 1/8th steerer.

dan1980
    Free Member

I think it depends on your fork length.

I seem to recall you’ll need a 44 mm headset, then external bottom cups for 150-170mm forks or internal for 160-180mm forks.

The top cup will depend on whether you want your bars higher (external) or lower (internal).

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve got:

(2) Top – 1 1/8″ Integral (43.95 dia)

(B) Bottom – 1 1/8″ Integral (43.95 dia)

That’s the internal lower cup but I have a 170mm Lyrik on there.
    There’s not external 44mm dia lower cup listed but I believe Hope can supply one – it would be about 10-15mm longer so slacken the bike by about 1/2 degree.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/mtb-accessories/headsets-1/hope-pick-n-mix-headset-cups.html

Mugboo

Cheers.

My current headset is a Nukeproof one. The top is internal and the bottom is external.

Mugboo

So looking at the Merlin chart I need a Top No2 but where’s the external 1 1/8th 43.95 or am I missing something?

greeble
    Free Member

I think it depends on your fork length.

I seem to recall you’ll need a 44 mm headset, then external bottom cups for 150-170mm forks or internal for 160-180mm forks.

The top cup will depend on whether you want your bars higher (external) or lower (internal).

😯 what sort of screwed up logic advice is that!

its a 44headtube
    Gravity-slave is on the money
    so a Hope number 2 top cup and a Hope B lower cup.

You could run a Hope H lower cup and a Hope HS136 crownrace so if in the future you change your fork and wish to fit a taper steer all you’d need to do is swap out the crown race

fivespot
    Free Member

Hope confusingly state the headset dimensions as 43.95mm, which you would expect to be a loose fit in a 44mm headtube. Not so, they are a tight (interference) fit. If they marketed them as 44mm, it would far less confusing, and they would come up on a Google search 🙄

Mugboo

Greeble – that B cup is internal whereas my current one is external. I’m happy with the handling so was hoping to replace like with like.
    You might be onto something with the H cup and crown race though, cheers 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

Mugboo.Hope don’t do an external cup upper 44 headset. It won’t affect the handling at all. If you want it to match add a 5 or 10mm headset spacer

Mugboo

Thanks Greeble that’s ok. Its an internal top, external (traditional) bottom that I’m after. Although I’m inclined to just replace the bottom cup with a Hope one as the top cops less grief…

Cheers 🙂

dan1980
    Free Member

what sort of screwed up logic advice is that!

The kind of screwed up advice Nukeproof themselves gave on their website a while ago… 🙂

Recommended Fork length – 160-180mm travel with Internal bottom cup 44IIss, 150-170mm with External bottom cup 44IETS, 44IESS or 44EE0S

– talking about their own brand of headsets….

Seemed to work for me at any rate. 🙂

Mugboo

I think I must have followed that advice in the first place 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega, which Hope headset?’ is closed to new replies.