Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega TR.. Any reason not to?
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Morning all,

Looking at those Nukeproof Mega frames on CRC. They look great value and get a good write up. I’d just be purchasing the frame and building it up myself. Overall consensus is that they aren’t the lightest (not fussed anyway)but other than that it’s all positive.

Any opinions on them? It will be my only bike and will do everything from local dossing about to all day mountain adventures (hopefully) and some trail centres aswell. Was thinking about putting 140mm X Fusion forks on aswell, anybody run theirs with 140mm? It’s the lower limit of the recommended travel but I reckon they will be ideal for me..

So tell me if I will die a painful death or cycle away in a cloud of smugness..

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

make sure all the linkage bearings have grease in them then go ride and enjoy, Mine’s Ace 🙂 can’t read properly, … mine’s the AM not the TR, Mine’s Ace 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Run mine with 150 pikes, upgraded from the original revelations. I absolutely love it. It’s absolutely a point and shoot downhill bike. Climbs OK. Have done a fair few 4 hr pedals on it and it’s not any more tiring than anything I’ve ridden before. I have had it recently fully rebuilt for free with new bushings and bearings due to an unfindable creak. All good now.

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks for the input gents. Any particular bearing grease to use? Is there a grease nipple on the bike or is it a bearing out and regrease?

How did u find the revelations? I’m a bit unsure if I need the 150mm travel as last bike only had 120mm.. Plus the budget is restricting fork choice! Looking at the X fusion streat fork, just can’t decide on colour!

There was a bargain set of revs in classifieds last night but only 130mm..

Any pics going so I can get an idea of set up etc?

deviant
    Free Member

How did u find the revelations? I’m a bit unsure if I need the 150mm travel as last bike only had 120mm.. Plus the budget is restricting fork choice! Looking at the X fusion streat fork, just can’t decide on colour!

Revs are still good forks although at 150mm you may be better off with wider diameter stanchions, I run Revelations at 140mm on my HT and they feel as stiff as the 34mm legs on my X-Fusion Sweeps (which are at 160mm) so it’s not a direct comparison but you get the idea….if funds allow then go for a Fox-34, Fox-36, X-Fusion 34mm series, Pikes etc….if not then just enjoy the Revs, they’ll help manage overall weight with a build too, I think my 140mm ones are less than 1700 grams new and even less now I’ve lopped off a chunk of the steerer tube.

downs523
    Free Member

great bike, love it. i have the mega tr comp 2015, bought it from bike active.com for £1550 in their sales. nothing negative so far…

acsevens

Mine arrived on Friday and I’ve just got back from the first quick shakedown ride. Really enjoyed it!

It’s very solid. And certainly on the weighty side. My build with pikes, slx, reverb and arch ex / superstar hubs probably comes to about 31 or 32lb. It pedals fine though and didn’t feel any worse on the ups than the chameleon it is replacing. You could certainly do long rides on it.

Felt very planted in the small amount of technical stuff I have locally. Suspension is excellent after minimal fettling – I went for the cane creek.

It’s fairly short in the top tube which may or may not bother you. Mine is an XL for reference.

Frame us well finished and the cable routing is very tidy. In short – looks a good frame, and a steal for the price.

1981miked
    Free Member

Budgeting around £400 for forks.. Couldn’t justify the Pike prices. So revelations or X fusions it it.

I’d have a similar build to yours acstevens, I was expecting it to be around the 30lb mark. I’m guessing I’ll need a small for my 5ft 5/6 height (although they do come up very short in TT) I’d also have it with the Canecreek shock, no brainer at that price!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

bearings are really easy to do, undo the bolts flick out the bearing seal (apply grease) and replace bolt, 3 on each side 😉

my mega Am weighs less than all your TR’s, marzocchi 55cr, Xt everything, 1×10 and Mavic crossmax sx wheels (tubeless) a little over 30lbs

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I am sure there was another similar thread a week ago, similar comments inc from me – very good bikes great prices

wrightyson
    Free Member

I rode it with the revs on quite happily for 8 months. They got the usual RS crown creak so I asked off the record if they could be replaced with an upgrade. Crc were more than happy to do it. Local stuff is very rocky in parts and they improved it massively. I genuinely don’t think I’d change anything else.

1981miked
    Free Member

Right I have spoken to a shop today about a frame and they have a small and medium in stock. I’m pretty much bang in the middle between the 2 sizes. My previous bike was a 16″ Cotic a Soul which has a top tube of 577mm, I ran it with a 50mm stem and it felt great.

The small Mega has a top tube of 568mm and the medium has a 588mm top tube.. So I’m struggling to decide what size I need. I would have run the small with a 50mm stem and I would run the medium with a 40mm stem which would be closer to the Cotics overall length. I doubt standover would be an issue on either so which size do I go for?

I don’t want to feel cramped on the bike and I like to chuck them around a bit on descents. It will be my only bike so will need to cover all bases it that makes a difference. I’m a shade under 5ft 6 with normal sized limbs!

Please help! I’m saying medium as the top tube measurement is only 1mm more.. Where as the small would size up 10mm shorter on a 50mm stem and I don’t thing running a 60mm stem on a bike like that is necessary.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Go bigger.

chestrockwell

Agreed, go bigger as it’s easier to reduce reach rather than add it.

vincienup
    Free Member

I started off looking at the frames then made the leap to the ex demo 2015 pro. Crc still have one (there were two until ladt week…) 🙂 £1899 I think. It’s built with Revs, good (evo) Schwalbes, full x01 1 and four pot guide RS’s. Plus a reverb. It’ll have a few scratches but it’s a hell of a bike for the money (this was £3k before a couple of hours of demo rides) If you spend £21 joining British Cycling you get another 10% off, so call it £1700. You’ll hit that easily building without a lot of sh components. If you’re after one and would ride 1×11 sram it’s a good choice.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

I had 150mm revelations on mine and never felt that they matched the bike, swapped to 160mm pikes and it now feels great.

Definately go for the medium frame with a shorter stem.

jimmy

I didn’t ever get on with mine, I think because I put “lesser” forks on (Sektors) because the front end never felt good and I fell off a lot because of it wiping out. Never felt stable cornering as a result so eventually sold it.

Errrrm, my point would be buy decent forks for it I suppose. This doesn’t allow for eider skills compensation – I don’t usually fall of as much as I did on that bike.

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. I have toyed with the idea of the whole bike but I already have some bits sitting wait him to go on.

Good point about the forks, I was thinking 140mm travel but the more I think about it the more a 150mm fork makes sense. Not site id benefit from 160mm though.. But never say never.

My thoughts have been confirmed then.. It’s a medium for me!

vincienup
    Free Member

Enjoy. Mine has a set of Pikes in the post… 🙂

granny_ring

If you were thinking of getting some 140mm Sektors, I have some new boxed ones. Email if interested as I might part with them.

BTW was looking at those frames earlier, tempting! Thought the TR was for 130-140mm travel forks not 150mm?

1981miked
    Free Member

I think some people have run the bike with 130mm but Nukeproof recommend 140mm – 160mm forks.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Get the slants, then you can adjust them down to 150mm if 160mm feels too much.

mattherby
    Free Member

I love my TR, built it up using Rockshox Sektor at 150mm but then changed to 160mm Marz 350cr. Great bike, only limited by myself. I’ve ridden it on the blacks at BPW and Antur Stiniog and also a few natural trails along the way.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Mine 😀

endurokid
    Free Member

I’ve just come here to look at everyone’s lovely bike pics, keep them coming 😀

1981miked
    Free Member

Evening chaps,

Thanks for the posts today, haven’t had a chance to reply until now.

I have been gifted a bit of cash from the tax man which is nice for a change.. Tax rebate for expenses incurred as a lorry driver.. Marvellous.

This has slightly altered the goal posts for the bike purchase. I originally wanted the new Orange 5 but it was waaaay over my budget, I had one a few years ago which I absolutely loved, sounds cliche but it just did everything really well, I was riding faster, jumping higher and really enjoying riding again. Anyway, with this extra dosh coming my way it’s brought the Five pro (with some upgrades) into the picture (still over budget but not by much all things considered).

So I now have to go and decide what to do.. Buy the Nukeproof frame and build it up as planned, this is the head talking here and probably the sensible option. Or do I go all out and get the bike I “really” want? This is my heart talking here, i love the look of the new 5 and have been looking at the upgrades list.

Hmm.. I wonder if I’d always think “what if” whatever I decide to go for.

What if I got the 5, it’s pretty much my perfect bike

Or

What if I saved some cash and got the Nukeproof??

Any 5 slating or Nukeproof loving is welcome..

vincienup
    Free Member

If you like 5’s, and the opportunity is there you probably need to stop beating yourself up and pick your favourite colour Orange…

Once second thoughts are involved, you’ll never enjoy the bike IMO.

1981miked
    Free Member

This is true.. Whatever way I go it’s bloody expensive for something with no engine!

Thinking Five Pro in black with black decals, Rockshox pikes and rear shock (worth it?), Orange hope shiny bits, Easton Arc wheels, Carbon bars and KS dropper.

Or fizzy orange with black bits but Orange hubs…

vincienup
    Free Member

I have a couple of Levs as well as Reverbs. I wouldn’t ditch a working Reverb for a Lev, but I’d definitely buy a Lev in preference.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Acsevens – does your XL still come up feeling slightly short?

I’m bang in the large category for my height but would never go that short on TT, the XL looks much better on paper

vincienup
    Free Member

Actually, while we have so many Nuke lovers in the house, can anyone tell me about bearing sizes for a 2012 AM 26er and 2015 TR275? A mate is after tools while superstar have their sale on and I might take advantage too… 🙂

acsevens

Slimjim – yes it’s a fairly short top tube, certainly compared to a lot of the really long tt bikes coming out at the moment. But it doesn’t feel cramped to me, though first proper ride tonight. Plenty of standover so I’d say size up if you’re unsure.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ive got the tr275 and feel its way better (for me) than the 2012 five it replaced.
    150 sweeps feel perfect, and its very stable at speeed and in the air..
    for balance I did a 47mile xc ride on sunday on it too…
    the 130mm back end still feels better behaved than the 140mm orange rear end, and although I think I shouldve got the AM I’m happy with the the tr…

chrisdw
    Free Member

I’ve just got the XL at a shade under 6′

granny_ring

Am tempted by one of these frames, not sure I can justify it though…..
    Is the CC inline worth the extra £100 over the Monarch?

wrightyson
    Free Member

As pretty much a lot of the above they do come up small. 5’10 here and on a large. Generally gone med previously.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega TR.. Any reason not to?’ is closed to new replies.