Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega TR 26"
  • spookydan
    Free Member

Hi,

Just thought I’d write a quick review for the 26″ Nukeproof Mega TR frame. I’ve only had it for a couple of months so can’t comment on longevity (or how it rides in the dry) but I have ridden it a few times including Gisburn Forest, Forest of Dean (uplift downhill day) and Swinley Forest.

Size wise I’m 5’9″ and went for a medium. It’s on the shorter side for long xc rides but is perfect for everything else.

I read a lot of reviews before I bought it and the vitalmtb one is definately most similar to my experience. In summary it pedals well with little feedback, feels plush over smaller stuff and ramps up nicely to take bigger hits. It jumps more like a hardtail than any other full sus bike I’ve ridden and I find the head angle (with 150mm Rockshox Sektors) a great compromise between too slack to get up hills and too steep to enjoy the descents. With the maxle rear it is pretty stiff as well.

I’m really enjoying this bike and would recommend it if a) (like me) you ride mostly trail centres/local woods but want something strong and fun enough to use for occasional uplifts and a trip to the Alps b) you want a full sus to compliment a downhill bike or c) you love your hardtail but feel like you’re getting too old to take a whole day in the saddle.

spookydan
    Free Member
    CrispyCSW

Thanks for this Spookydan, I’m toying with the idea of getting one of these myself. Any pics of yours?

shredder
    Free Member

Just finished building mine very pleased with it.

ska-49
    Free Member

Really like these! Exactly what I’m after.
    I’m just struggling with the price.. I can get a spec/kona/giant/etc. for the same price and spec. I thought Nukeproof was meant to be good value?

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’m enjoying mine.

Reassuringly sturdy and very good at jumping.

devash
    Free Member

Really like these! Exactly what I’m after.
    I’m just struggling with the price.. I can get a spec/kona/giant/etc. for the same price and spec. I thought Nukeproof was meant to be good value?

Some good deals on full builds over at Chain Reaction.

adrec
    Free Member

i do like the look of these, whats the weight like?

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’ve got one and love it and concur with all said above, it’s probably the best trail centre bike I’ve ever had, climbs really well and flies dh.
    Mine weighs in at 32lb with 150 36 talas, flows on hope pros, schwalbe tubeless, sram 2×10 X9, KS Lev seatpost.

tommyhine

Wasn’t really considering one of these but after seeing this and following up with reading a bunch of reviews bought one today. Mega excited (pardon the pun).

Second only full bouncer (after a 223 from the downhill days) so will probably take a while to adjust.

Whats everyones opinion of putting my reverb in with a sleeve as it’s a 30.9 and I believe this is a 31.6. Would it be safe enough?

spookydan
    Free Member

I’m running a 27.2 gravity dropper in a shim, it’s the use thermoplastic one and is quite long. There is a pretty big gusset between the top and seat tube as well which is where frames can be damaged by using a shim so I’m not worried. Had a few more rides recently and still very happy.

tops5
    Free Member

Good to read this – halfway through building mine! Got 160mm 36s on at present, think I’ll try them at full 160 before spacing down at all.

spookydan
    Free Member

Over six months in now and just back from a week in Morzine. I’ve changed the forks to marzocchi 55 cr which I’ve reduced to 150mm travel and would recommend highly. Still very happy with the bike and it held up to a week of wet and muddy alpine trails really well. The only problems so far are a cracking noise under pedaling which I think was down to some dirt in a bearing (fixed by a deep clean) and some play in the chainstay/seatstay pivot which needed a new bush kit (seems to be a common problem after a few months).

stevomcd
    Free Member

Not dissimilar from our thoughts on the Mega AM:

Posted by White Room Mountain Biking on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega TR 26"’ is closed to new replies.