• This topic has 50 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega- talk to me
  • hora
    Free Member

Apart from the shock how they compare/ride to others?

jimjam
    Free Member

There are so many bikes in that class, where would you start?. I’ve ridden a few megas, and most of the other main contenders. If you have any specific queries I might be able to answer.

Mugboo

My previous frame was a Cotic Hemlock (100mm rocker), it feels stiffer than that and with the propedal on it climbs really well. Monarchs going to Loco for a fettle over winter.

I did breifly own an 08 Wolfridge frame in between. The Mega feels a lot more alive (& lighter) and again climbs much better.

It descends like a long, low, slack ish bike should and can be improved with a tune or change of shock. Mine was £730, if I had pots of money I’d buy a Rocket, but I like VFM so that list was ex demo Hemlock £670, whole Wolfridge (new) £1300 & Mega £730, all built round 36 forks, Hope/Flow, etc.

hora
    Free Member

I ride a 09 Enduro. Front too high/bike still too tall even after 2 offset bushes.

Want a longer travel version of my old Blur 4x- sit in/lower

Bregante

Hora, my mate that I was up in glentress with has one and he rates it better than the Nomad and the Blur lt2 that he had prior to it. Better climber than the nomad and a better descender than the blur. I’d have one.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mega Trail maybe?….130 rear and up to 160 front.

jimjam
    Free Member

hora

I ride a 09 Enduro. Front too high/bike still too tall even after 2 offset bushes.

Too tall or too steep? The mega is definitely slacker and lower than an 09 enduro but the front end will sit a bit higher unless you are stilling running those awful spesh forks. However……

hora

Want a longer travel version of my old Blur 4x- sit in/lower

…..it’s not in any way reminiscent of a Blur 4x to me in any way.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega- talk to me

Has it said owt yet?

therag
    Free Member

I tried both and prefered and bought the covert, still in the honeymoon period but love it so far.
    Ps not a good enough rider to tell the difference, it just felt comfier and looks slightly better 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Did you get a BFe frame in the end?

hora
    Free Member

No car servicing bill coincided 🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

Have you tried a slackset? It should lower the front end of the bike by a bit.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSWCSLS118/on_one_slackset_by_works_components_for_1_1_8_headtubes

What about flat bars or an inverted stem? Have you removed all the spacers from under it?

Seems daft to change the frame because of a high front end if you havn’t tried the above.

jam-bo

If you want something like a blur 4x, why not get another blur 4x

hora
    Free Member

‘been there. It was good and maybe rose-tinted to a degree. I could look at a slackset or just a lowerstack/zero’ish stack headset (currently std King).

honourablegeorge

Bregante – Member
    Hora, my mate that I was up in glentress with has one and he rates it better than the Nomad and the Blur lt2 that he had prior to it. Better climber than the nomad and a better descender than the blur. I’d have one.

So a 150mm bike was better uphill than a 160mm bike, and better down hill than a 140mm one?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Because he doesn’t want another B4X, not enough travel apparently. Like a 4X, but not one? Doesn’t actually know what he wants by the sounds of things 😀

You can chuck a 57mm stroke on the 4X, which takes it to over 130mm travel & doesn’t cause any interface issues, or you can do the same on a Blur TRC…

binners

Doesn’t actually know what he wants by the sounds of things

No! I won’t hear of it? Hora not having a clue what the **** he wants? He’s normally so decisive. A man who knows exactly what he wants, ne needs, buys it and then sticks with it, 100% confident and assured as he is in the fulfillment and satisfaction his choice inevitably always provides

Alternatively, the more cynical might suggest, that he woke up this morning and remembered that in some far-flung corner of this land lurks a bike frame he hasn’t yet owned, and almost immediately jettisoned as being rubbish!

Still…. If anyone’s after a Nukeproof Mega, there’ll be one on the classifieds in a couple of weeks 😆

hora
    Free Member

Doesn’t actually know what he wants by the sounds of things

I’ve had my frame over a year now. Bored of it. Its lovely – stripped back raw and looks great however like most of the other pondlife on this forum I like my shiny new stuff :mrgreen:

traildog
    Free Member

A whole year! 😯 That’s 52 rides, how has it survived!! 😯

fuzzhead
    Free Member

As above, if the front end of your Enduro feels too tall, I’d go for a lower stack heaset, remove spacers, lower bars, flip stem before plumping for a new frame

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My 4X is going on eBay today (if I get around to it) Hora 😉

Its odd, never despite riding it all over the UK and in the Alps have I ever felt I needed more rear travel on the 4X.

hora
    Free Member

The 4X is a great frame but they are getting on now and they still go for a fair bit – I wouldn’t pay c£500 for a 5yr old alu frame that was only a grand new! 😆

nick1962
    Free Member

Just buy one hora.
    I need something to keep me entertained over the long dark winter months and reading all your posts about how to fix this, change that ,lower this ,slacken that and tighten up the other should do the trick.And when winter’s over you’ll be onto your next bike.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Hora

you cant go wrong with a Mega, best value bike out there..
    I love mine. so capable.

hora
    Free Member

Just buy one hora.
    I need something to keep me entertained over the long dark winter months and reading all your posts about how to fix this, change that ,lower this ,slacken that and tighten up the other should do the trick.And when winter’s over you’ll be onto your next bike.

Do you know everything I own I tinker with? I’m like a very very bad DIY/inventor..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The 4X is a great frame but they are getting on now and they still go for a fair bit – I wouldn’t pay c£500 for a 5yr old alu frame that was only a grand new!

The great thing is though, someone probably will!

binners

I’m like a very very bad DIY/inventor..

😆

scaled
    Free Member

Do you want a go on one?

You should have asked at the pootle 😀

nick1962
    Free Member

What tyres for time travel?

hora
    Free Member

😆

You should have asked at the pootle

I avoided it as it would have put me into a dilemma. Wallet contents v desire..

Del
    honourablegeorge

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

I sold mine on here for £500, had four offers within a couple of hours.

I miss it.

hora
    Free Member

I sold my (orange) one for £630 after a years use that I’d bought for £650 new/old stock :mrgreen:

soobalias
    Free Member

how do they compare to others

im 6’0″ & 11st, riding a medium with the stock monarch rt3 shock on 36Vans 160mm, 2×9, reverb, 823 tubeless.

Its pretty short in top tube terms, the shock is fine at my weight, the propedal allows what is a pretty big bike to climb very well, i forget which NP headset i have, the one recommended for 160mm 1.5″ steerer forks. I wouldnt entertain the idea of a slackset or offset bushings.

Its just about light enough for a do-anything bike

hora
    Free Member

How do you find riding the medium? Cramped?

niceandy
    Free Member

I better start this one by admitting I’ve not ridden one so, to limit recriminations, but I looked into one of these as an all-purpose bike. After comparing geometry though I came to the conclusion that it wasn’t versatile enough (small cockpit and long wheelbase, chainstays) as an all-rounder.

For me, this was ideal for Alps trips (admittedly it’s stated purpose), but too much of a compromise for normal riding, where I would want a bit more top tube length, and a wheelbase shorter than a DH bike.

Having said that if you measure up differently then it may be a perfect match and I’d also be interested to hear if the above is an unfounded perception.

soobalias
    Free Member

the word cramped is too strong, the large would probably be better suited if it was my only bike, but as its reserved for fun its perfect. I have a 50mm stem on it and the seatpost is inline, but i dont feel the need to stretch it out at all.

Local XC, rides in the chilterns, Swinley, i take the hardtail (17″ PA) but for Aston Hill or any away days i ride the full susser

traildog
    Free Member

I sold my (orange) one for £630 after a years use that I’d bought for £650 new/old stock

But did it actually get ridden? 😉

The Mega has a short top tube on paper, but a very steep seat tube, so there is actually quite a bit of reach. If you look at the stack and reach figures, you will see that it’s actually quite long.
    I’m 5’9″ on a medium with a 50mm stem and find it comfy for long rides – did a 7 hour epic on it a few days ago. I could use a shorter stem and it still be useable.

I really like mine, but you should try and get a ride. All the talk on the internet is not going to tell you if you like it or not.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

think its your old one on ebay at the moment Mark…

Northwind

I spent a couple of hours on one- but it was a small and I’m a medium sort of guy so that did have an effect.

It was really good… A proper bomber on the descents. Rear suspension was effective enough but felt a bit crude, definately not on the same standard as say an Alpine or my Hemlock. Climbed not badly at all but still felt like a descender with decent pedalling manners, rather than an allrounder, if you know what I mean. Wouldn’t be my choice for an XC ride, but then, I wouldn’t choose an XC bike for the riding I was doing on the Mega, so. Unashamedly a big bike, which I like.

And yes, a bit cramped as you’d expect since I was sized down. I reckon it’d still feel pretty compact on a medium, going by the claimed sizing.

(TBH I don’t understand why some- GT, Ibis- try to make 160mm allrounders. Big travel for big jobs. Nukeproof’s approach makes more sense to me)

All in all pretty good and I’d like to try it with a better shock. Fantastic value but add in the cost of a shock retune or an upgrade to get the most out of it I reckon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega- talk to me’ is closed to new replies.