Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Nukeproof mega build advice needed
  • norcosix
    Free Member

I am currently building up a 2012 nukeproof mega.

I am struggling to get my front mech to te correct height without it colliding with the rear swing arm when the rear suspension is fully compressed.

Anyone ha this problem before ?

What front mech have you got fitted ?

Thanks

legend
    Free Member

What front mech are you using? Assuming you’re running a double up front, a shorter SLX mech might give you the extra clearance you need

norcosix
    Free Member

I was just trying a deore one I found in my spares box.

Yeah double upfront. Al have a look for one off them.

Thanks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gravity-slave
    Free Member

I bought a double SLX mech to use with my double SLX chain device on my Mega and couldn’t get it set up.

The double mech has a shorter cage. The combination of steep seat tube angle and low swingarm/long travel means that when the mech is set up to clear the bash guard the chain drags on the bottom of the cage.

I’m using a standard triple no probs but it did take some careful setting up.

thv3
    Free Member

SLX double on mine, no clearance issues on mine.

kayak23

How steep do you ride? I use 1×9 on mine with a 32 front x36 rear and get up most things eventually.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

thv3 – what size chainring and/or bash guard?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

shimmano xtr on mine with a 36 28 double ring no problems at all

larrythelathe
    Free Member

i had this problem when i built my mates for him you need one with the clamp band above the mec not below then alls good

larrythelathe
    Free Member

As a side note don’t bother and go 1 by what ever unless you have BIG hills

thv3
    Free Member

I’ve got the SLX double and bash with the matching front mech, to be honest its been fine since I fitted it more than 18 months ago, can’t remember any difficulties at the time.

Could have been my extraordinary mechanical skillz, or perhaps more realistically a pure fluke! 😉

norcosix
    Free Member

Think al order a slx front and if all else fails al just have to single ring it up front !

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Big hills – or little lungs/legs! I’m 1×10 curious but prefer to spin and ride biggish climbs.

I have an FD-M661 triple on mine, top pull bottom swing.

The mech is set so the cage just clears the bash by a mm or two. Even with the extra depth of the triple cage over the double, when the bike is on the stand the chain drags on the ‘shelf’ of the mech when in granny and lower than 3rd at the back.

Of course when riding the bike sags and the problem is not as pronounced but when unweighting or pedalling over rolling bumps the chain can drag on the mech in granny and higher than 3rd.

It works fine but needs careful setup as the mech is shaped around a 34t middle ring.

No problems hitting the swingarm.

M667 is the double specific mech to fit if you want to try that. The cage is shallower so will give more swingarm clearance – but less depth for chain clearance.

adevaynes
    Free Member

I initially ran a slx double and bash with slx mech and had no issues, soon after converted to 1×10 and not missing the granny ring at all, currently got 33, 11-36

bwaarp
    Free Member

Only catches 2/3rds of the way into the travel when in the granny on mine.

You shouldnt be in the granny for descending anyway.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

I removed a SRAM X7 front mech and shifter from my 2×10 Mega, id sell as i dont use them. My mails in the profile Norcosix.

cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof mega build advice needed’ is closed to new replies.