Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega AM v. TR
  • legend
    Free Member

So it appears that my Mrs is about to steal my bike off of me, so I’m considering one of the above as a replacement.

I think I’m leaning towards the TR (it’ll be replacing a Five) as I still have the DH bike kicking around for bike tracks at the like of Ft.Bill or aboard. However, with the AM losing some weight over the original model, that comes into play now too.

I get that choosing between them generally comes down to what sort of riding I’m likely to use it for the most, but does anyone know how they compare weight-wise? The Five is around 30lbs at the moment (coil fork making it a bit heavier than it could be), so this figure would also be the rough target for a replacement

sprocker
    Free Member

My mate has just built up a tr with pikes, reverb and hope bits and in the scientific lift test it feels reasonably light. Marginally lighter than another mates similar equipped five and with the frame at 875 a bit of a bargain.

SirHC

I picked up a Mega TR before xmas to replace my cracked Five (no surprised given the abuse its had).

Built it up with the same parts as my Five, apart from a reverb. (Revelations, Pro II/ZTR Flows, X9 10speed, raceface atlas bar/stem/cranks, Maxxis Minion Front/Crossmark Rear).

Mega TR feels a little bit lighter (havent had chance to weigh it yet), It certainly rides a lot lighter.
    The mega tr does ride a lot better than the Five, the RP23 on the Five never feeling right, despite being tuned and fiddled with. With the Mega TR I set the air pressure on the Monarch RC3 so I had 30% sag, got the rebound set and havent touched it. Rear of the bike feels much more composed and doesnt blow through its travel like the Five did.

I too have a dh bike (Morewood Makulu) and felt the Mega AM was a bit much for general riding around. Wanted to keep the weight down so it could be ridden all day. Only thing I would potentially change, is replace the revelations with a set of Pikes.

GEDA
    Free Member

I just finished building my Mega AM. It is just under 31 lbs. Nice bike.

youngrob

I bought a 2nd hand AM frame in November and built it up with 170mm Vengance forks, 1×10 with SLX chainset and Hope Hoops which comes in at 31.8lbs. It pedals really well and tears down the descents.

The guy I bought it from replaced it with a TR which he sold on after a couple of rides as he wanted his AM back (I politely declined)

100mphplus
    Free Member

You Def want to go for the TR in your circumstances.

I got a frame last year when they reduced them and it’s a mint bike, climbs really well and flies down the hills, the rear end is so plush. Probably best trail centre bike I’ve ever had!

Got 36 talas on mine, Flows on pro 2’s, KS integra dropper post, sram X9 2×10, doesn’t feel too heavy.

Not actually weighed mine, will put it on the scales tonight and report back.

100mphplus
    Free Member

32.4lb but certainly feels lighter than that going up the hills.

legend
    Free Member

That’s chunkier than I would’ve thought. Running dual ply tyres or anything like that?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Love my AM, 31lbs but rides waaay lighter and climbs great too, my mate rides the TR and its a
    Great bike too, rides lighter than mine but i prefer the burlyness of the AM

legend
    Free Member

32lb TR
    31lb AM

Mind blown.

hando
    Free Member

according to chainreaction product specs, the tr frame is 1/2 lb lighter than the am – so i guess it’s all in the build.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega AM v. TR’ is closed to new replies.