Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega AM v Nukeproof Mega TR
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Morning all! I’m in the market for a new trail bike to replace my bandit….Transition scout, kona process 134, that type of thing. I already have a mega Am and I’m wondering whether the mega TR is significantly different. I really rate the mega AM so in some ways the TR seems an obvious bike for the trails but I’d want it to be lighter and more nimble. Any thoughts anyone?

SirHC

Had mine over a year now, perfect trail bike, pedals well, 29lb build. Back end is a lot stiffer than the Five it replaced (five was cracked in multiple places).

carlphillips
    Free Member

Also replaced a five for the tr275 and what a bike! Much more confidence inspiring for me. Is happy on long xc rides and climbs well… And is good on trails be they steep and techy or on jumps… Is my perfect bike and although less travel than the five it’s way better.
    I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

rickon
    Free Member

Why do you need two bikes which are incredibly similar? Firm up the shock a bit, increase the rebound on both ends, fit a volume reducer in the shock, and youve got a more nimble AM.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks all! That’s exactly it rickon, I don’t want two similar bikes. The tr frame is slightly lighter than the am and the geometry is a touch different so I was wondering if this meant that they would feel very different to ride.

doug_basqueMTB.com

We did the launch for those bikes so I rode them both back to back on pretty familiar trails. I thought that they were hugely different. I loved them both but really different bikes. AM was much more DH focussed and way more confident descending than the TR. TR was more involving and obviously climbed way better. I only had a day on each but that was my feeling.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks Doug, that was just what I was after, someone that had ridden both. I seem to think my AM climbs pretty well so the TR should be even better 🙂 did you still get the long and low feeling on the TR?

doug_basqueMTB.com

No problems. Yes, but not as much. Mind you my normal bike is an Orbea Rallon so neither felt particularly long or low 🙂

carlphillips
    Free Member

My mates AM peddles well.. The tr is better.. The am at Gawton dh tracks felt comfortable the tr not so much… But for all round trail bike it’s the tr for me..

Northwind

Mate of mine has an AM and loves it, I’m always impressed by how easy it is to ride- I can jump on it and it feels instantly familiar despite the size. It’s pretty damn heavy mind but impressive.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d second the weight of the AM. My main riding buddy runs one with a pretty light wheelset, and it’s noticeably heavier than my old Zesty, which has an old set of pro2/Sun SOS’s on it right now.

The AM is an excellent bike that eats it all up though, and does give the impression of being fat more capable of doing bigger stuff than I am.

FWIW, I was doing a fantasy bike shop recently and decided if I was looking for a new FS (and I’m not) that a 650b. Nuke TR would be well up my ‘try’ list as it sounds and looks like just what I want from a platform that I’d be prepared to pay for.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega AM v Nukeproof Mega TR’ is closed to new replies.