Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega 275 vs Vitus Sommet (advice)
  • selektah
    Free Member

Cos every other bike I fancy is either sold out or too expensive it’s finally boiling down to these two competitors, the Nukeproof Mega 275 Comp 2018 (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se/en/nukeproof-mega-275-comp-bike-2018/rp-prod159394), and the Vitus Sommet VR SLX 2018 (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se/en/vitus-bikes-sommet-vr-suspension-bike-slx-1×11-2018/rp-prod159785). Not much difference in price looking at the Swedish krona anyway so it has to come down to components and geometry and so on I guess. I will be taking it to bike parks and just riding in the forest I live in and about where the terrain is everything from forest roads to technical or semi-technical trails, not much DH-y stuff around tho, but will need that ability going to parks and other places around the area.

I’m also torn in between a Large and XL! Both bikes “part ways” in size at 190cm rider height, and that’s just my height, so I’m guessing if it’s mostly really technical trails and DH type of stuff the Large will maybe fit better, but maybe I’m wrong as I’ve never ridden any of these two bikes.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Have you tried the geometry geeks website? It’s a good way of comparing side by side. I’m in a very similar conundrum myself.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Links dont work and why Swedish dosh ?

ta11pau1

Regarding the size, I’m also between sizes at 190cm , however my ape index (arm span vs height) is +7cm so the bigger (longer) bike should be correct for me. If you have a negative ape index go for the L, positive then the XL.

transition1
    Free Member

I am 183cm with long back & have a Large Vitus Summet I bought frame only & built up, I wish I went XL to be honest it is a great bike very capable & similar figures to a Transition Patrol my main bike is an XL Smuggler but I like a long reach on a bike

selektah
    Free Member

I’ll check out the geometry geeks website, thanks Ashy! No idea why the links don’t work actually, and Swedish money cos I live in Sweden. As for the size I’m leaning towards an XL cos of the ape index too, also measured my inside leg and that definitely puts me in the XL category. Thanks for the input about the Sommet also! Still haven’t clicked any buying button cos I happened to check my bills and that put me off buying bread even.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Oh right me too. Loads of good second hand bikes around at the moment, what with the snow coming. Does it have to be new/2018?

selektah
    Free Member

Where are you looking mate? I’m looking on Blocket and Happyride.se but nothing’s ever my size or taste =/ Any suggestions to look elsewhere? I know the snow’s coming, hehe, but just looking at the Mega 275 Comp price of last year comparing it to the 2018 model prices they don’t differ much and then that’s with pretty heavy discount on the 2017 models! So I just figure they’ll go up and up, but yea, don’t really need that bike right away with the winter being right around the corner, just figured I’d save money like this…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Facebook groups are decent

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=177852972339647&ref=content_filter

I can see a capra a decent remedy etc. Put an ad up and you’ll get alot of offers. Friends near me are selling a well tasty YT and a giant.

There are other groups too, try a search

selektah
    Free Member

Looks like a decent group! Thanks! Unfortunately the YT I saw was too small, also the Remedy and Reign, but I didn’t scroll the entire group so might be something hiding there once I’m a member and can do a search. Also noticed a lot of people won’t post them, like on Blocket and Happyride, and I’m too lazy, or tied up, to go any much further than an hour to pick up something (I’m in Sandviken).

Also found out that if you’re a member of British Cycling you get 10% off items on CRC! But I suppose you need to be British to join, but if anyone happens to wanna share their discount code I would be happy to make use of it =)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes most people don’t post but the do travel a lot, so like stockholm or Uppsala may be reachable.

Velotek bikes in Uppsala sell their team bikes around about now, might be worth asking. Neil the manager is English. I have ordered my new frame and fork throught them.

also try the cycling groups on Facebook, Crème Fraiche bicycle club in Stockholm, and I’m sure dalarna has a good group. If you see anything in Åre / Jämtland I can always check it out for you!

selektah
    Free Member

Haven’t been up to Åre yet, I saw they were selling some Giant Reign bikes at Åre MTB Center tho, but unfortunately a bit pricey, and didn’t say any size either (if you’re interested: HERE). Not been up to Åre yet, but hear people rave about the park, so once I get a proper bike again I’ll join the first chance I get, only been to the parks in Järvsö and Säfsen here, before I had to sell my beloved Kona CoilAir, but I’ll check the Facebook suggestions you mentioned! Also not so far from Uppsala really and actually might be going round there in a week or two, so gonna look up Velotek too! Thanks =) !

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

sure yes,look me up. Åre is awesome. Järvsö sell their hire bikes too! good luck

selektah
    Free Member

I’ve decided on the 2018 Sommet, but before I click and buy I thought I’d be cheeky and just try ask again if anyone has got a spare British Cycling discount code? Would come in a massive handy!

samwilk200
    Free Member

Its worth signing up yourself. Cheapest membership is £22 and you get code instantly, so it will be a big saving on a full bike, plus you support British Cycling.

selektah
    Free Member

Yea, definitely would sign up if it wasn’t for that I’m Norwegian, living in Sweden and I suppose you need to be British to sign up for that, or at least have a British address, hmmm. Luckily tho I did get a PM with a discount code, and if it hadn’t been for that I couldn’t have bought it due to restrictions on my credit card, so “epic win” or wtf the kids say these days (probably something new).

thanden
    Free Member

Hi Selektah,

Im quite interested in the decision you made regarding choosing between these two bikes and which size you went for. Oddly, Im in the exact same situation, chosing between the Sommet and the Nukeproof, and torn between L and XL. Im 188cm but long arms and often lean towards bigger bikes, so Im also somewhat in between.

What did you go for?

Thomas, Denmark.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega 275 vs Vitus Sommet (advice)’ is closed to new replies.