Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega 275 or 290? Opinions please.
  • mancian
    Free Member

Hi.

I’m saving up to buy a new steed early next year. I’ve owned a 2012 and 2013 Mega and I love the look of the new 2016 models. So I’m set on a mega for my new steed.

I’ve read loads of reviews from when they were first released and tested but I’m looking for views from current owners and especially if you have tried both 275 and 290. I’m liking the sound of the 290. I’d obviously try and book a demo before I buy too.

I’ll be buying a frame only and building up with new and used parts too as I’m on a budget.

Thanks

Ian

ChrisL

I briefly tried a 275, briefly tried a 290, had a longer demo of a 290 and bought the 290. I can’t remember the specifics of why I preferred the 29er but I found it more confident and fun. I don’t remember the 275 being bad, just not to my taste.

Northwind

I don’t own either but had a couple of test rides on both… The 275 didn’t make much impression on me, the 290 is a beast. Massive, long, slack. And one of those rare beasts that are still good fun on easier trails.

I’ve got a remedy 29 and it’s blimmin awesome, but the mega 290 might be as good- I’d definitely think about it, if I needed another bike. The 275, nah. Like chris says, nothing wrong with it at all but it didn’t impress either.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I could definitively tell you which one is better for you….but you said steed….twice.So I’m not.

brant
    Free Member

Pagey has the 29er one.

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2013 mega for comparison, and I absolutely love it. Went to the crc demo at inners and tried both – the 29er blew me away. I’d agree with everything Northwind says. The 275 was fine, not a bad bike, but didn’t feel special or radically different or even any better than my current bike.

The 290 on the other hand felt incredible, and got me into so much trouble just by being ridiculously fast and so fun to ride. I’m 5’8″ and was on a large 290 just to try out the reach of it, because I’m a fan of long and slack, and it was a great bike to ride with no difficulty in the tight corners of the inners downhill trails.

mancian
    Free Member

Cheers for the help fellas. The 29er sounds like a beast and seems like the one to buy.

Although Bike Active sell the 275 frame for £1210 and 650b parts will be easier to get hold of second hand.

I’ll see around March 2017 what prices are like.

Cheers.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I demoed both up at Aston Hill back in April. Both very capable bikes but the 290 impressed me more. In fact my 4 runs on Surface to Air were faster than anything else I had ridden that day. Absolute hoon of a bike.

Would I buy one? I would, but in a contest between the two then, in all honesty, I’d get the 275 because it felt more active and a bike I would get more out of with my style of riding. Sure the 290 wanted to go fast but was certainly less nimble.

kayak23

I demoed the 275 at Aston Hill too. I currently ride a 2013 Mega.
    As mentioned above, lovely capable bike, really liked it but, I don’t think it blew me away like I was maybe expecting. Can’t say that I felt it had anything better going for it than my current Mega.

On the issue of frame only, if you’re moving from 26″ to 650b, I’d say that the entry level mega at 2k might be better if you can stretch to it. Better value in terms of useable parts I’d reckon. That’s what I thought anyway.

Following the demo day, I’ve ended up ordering a carbon Vitus sommet so hmmmmm.
    🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega 275 or 290? Opinions please.’ is closed to new replies.