• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by GEDA.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Nukeproof AM anyone tried 27.5 wheel on the 26" frame?
  • parky018
    Free Member

anyone tried a 27.5 wheel on the 26″ frame? the CS difference between the 275 and 26″ frame is only 5mm?

rickon
    Free Member

The chances are, if you did, youd need to run a lower profile tyre than with a 26. So youd end up with the same outer diameter as before, but less bump compliance.

Ive ridden 26, 650 and 29 back to back, and 650 didnt feel different to 26. Definitely different to 29, but really not worth buying new wheels and tyres for, and messing with a bikes geometry.

svalgis
    Free Member

Don’t be silly Rickon, 27,5″ wheels are made out of unicorn tears and magic dust and will ride infinitely better even when mounted to a frame that’s absolutely not designed for them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaled
    Free Member

My 26″ mega with a 2.35 xr4 (which is massive) is the same dia as a 27.5 with a 2.3 NN on.

I’d still rather run something with more volume on the mega though. There’s not a lot if room on the lyrik at the front for the Hans dampf 2.35+ the mud hugger

brant
    Free Member

Seat tube clearance at full compression?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could just right 650b on the tyres, 650b tubes might do it too 😉

If your worried about future compatibility buy some spare rims and tyres.
    If you want it to be magically faster head to the gym and skills route.

dirtydog
    Free Member

brant – Member

Posted 3 hours ago #

Is the Mega one of your designs Brant?

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL

jam-bo

Apparently that’s only a feature on cotics..

brant
    Free Member

Is the Mega one of your designs Brant?

The first one was.

It’s just worth checking these things or stuff can get a bit buzzy.

hora
    Free Member

Why not buy a 29’er? Bringing hybrid bicycles to the trail.

parky018
    Free Member

The ST is the same, in fact the 275 has 73.5 degrees angle so would be closer on the 275. The CS is 5mm longer on the 275, with near 40mm difference between the 26 and 27.5 wheels does the 5mm really make that much difference? I was actually wondering if anyone had tried it since it clearly does fit.

I am not asking about the 26, 27.5, 29 debate either thanks.

Thanks scaled and rickon. I’m getting new wheels anyway for the new frame but will think about rubber or stiffness.

GEDA
    Free Member

I have a 2013 mega. The difference in radius is 12mm. That is how much bigger the chain stay needs to be and how much higher bottom bracket you are going to have depending on what tyre you are using. Personally I would just stick on the biggest 26 inch tyre that you like. Maybe someone could make custom drop outs so you could swap tyre size.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof AM anyone tried 27.5 wheel on the 26" frame?’ is closed to new replies.