Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Nuke proof mega 2016
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Or even 120mm to get the rear end a bit tighter.

Wouldn’t mind a go on the 29er anyway.

fingerbang
    Free Member

ive just ordered a Scout 290 in XL but might be between sizes: ett is 651mm and reach is 455mm whereas on my XL spitfire its 640mm and 477mm.

my spitty, with a 50mm stem, is perfect sizing. Im 6 ft 3 so Scout Xl is probably bang on but ett could be a bit long? both frames are 20 inch seat tubes.

are there any other pre-orderees with sizing dilemmas or can reassure me? Its pretty much a blind purchase – but just look at the frame!

for that matter does anyone have any more info on the 290 besides the nukeproof release blurb?

STATO
    Free Member

ive just ordered a Scout 290 in XL but might be between sizes: ett is 651mm and reach is 455mm whereas on my XL spitfire its 640mm and 477mm.

my spitty, with a 50mm stem, is perfect sizing. Im 6 ft 3 so Scout Xl is probably bang on but ett could be a bit long? both frames are 20 inch seat tubes.

Its complicated.

Presuming both are static figures then the Spitfire is longer (reach is the important figure, for ett you need to consider the seat angle also).

However with sag the scout reach will get longer as the front drops, the Spitfire will sag at both ends so sagged reach will be the same.

Of course this very basic and doesnt consider stack height, spacers under stem, travel/sag, how high the bars are on each bike, how you plan to set them up etc. etc.

Essentially they are both quite long so should be fine.

AlexSimon

I wasn’t expecting the price to be that high.
    I wasn’t expecting a horst link.
    I wasn’t expecting them to be so short.

Interesting…

thedude
    Free Member

The seat tube length on the nukeproof website and crc is different for the xl scout. It says 48cm for the frameset.

BoardinBob

I wasn’t expecting the price to be that high.

The price isn’t that high. It’s only £50 higher than the RRP of the outgoing frame design, and as far as I can tell, only the 650b Codeine & possibly the Bird Aeris are cheaper frames with similar travel/ geometry?

nasher
    Free Member

Hmmmm seems like the likes Nukeproof is not the value it once was, the Spesh Enduro Comp is £100 cheaper at £2500 than the Mega Comp.

Both are near identical in spec, and geometry.

ahwiles
    Free Member

scandal42 – Member

Looks fooking lovely, too much bike though. 29er in 130ish would have been ace.

chakaping – Member

Or even 120mm to get the rear end a bit tighter.

this.

right now, i’m mulling over a Transition smuggler. a 120mm Nukeproof would be very hard to ignore.

legend
    Free Member

nasher – Member

Hmmmm seems like the likes Nukeproof is not the value it once was, the Spesh Enduro Comp is £100 cheaper at £2500 than the Mega Comp.

Both are near identical in spec, and geometry.

One will see its price slashed long before the other though

AlexSimon

The price isn’t that high. It’s only £50 higher than the RRP of the outgoing frame design, and as far as I can tell, only the 650b Codeine & possibly the Bird Aeris are cheaper frames with similar travel/ geometry?

True – Do they still sell through dealers? That would explain extra margin required. Although as a dealer I would always be wondering if the price was going to tumble.
    I guess I’ve been spoiled by having the Aeris. It makes me think anything at the £1500 price range is pricey.

downs523
    Free Member

Which one would you get? I like the 2016 but not sure of the colour. Same price but better spec on the 2015 model. links here:

2015: http://www.bikeactive.com/nukeproof-mega-tr-comp-c2x15405586

2016: http://www.bikeactive.com/nukeproof-mega-275-race-2016-c2x18665362

Does anyone have the 2015 model? these are the same price and currently 20% off making them just over £1500

kayak23

Damn you Nukeproof!
    I would never ever normally entertain the idea of a 29er, but something about this, and particularly in this Dirt video, just looks so….right.
    Blummin lovely.
    Not sure even that the 27.5 version looks as right…
    The gits even photographed it with sexy droplets of water on it…. 👿
    Dirt 100

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU6zn4OzlEE[/video]

kayak23

So has anyone put any money down on a new Mega?

I was at the FOD at the weekend and (unexpectedly) Hotlines were there with some demo Megas and some electric bikes too.

Got chatting to the friendly blokes on the stand, and while sadly the medium Megas were all out on hire for the day, I did get to look over the XL Pro version in the flesh.

All I can say is, it looks blummin lovely. Really has had massive thought go into the lines, in particular the top tube which is really svelte. I loved it. I’d have given them the money right there if I’d had it.

I have the original Mega, and to be honest, it’s fantastic. Nothing wrong with it at all but sometimes I think you just fancy a change… I really think the new Mega might be it.

Trouble I have is like many of us, I’m fully invested in 26″. Mainly because I have a spare wheelset and tyres for doing uplift days. Switching to 27.5″ would screw me over a bit.

Still, very tempted to get the entry level Race version, stick my 650b Pikes on it and my 1x gearing and sell all the new stuff.

Anyone else waiting for one or got one already?

Northwind

The 290 is pretty damn good- the Pro I tried was in pretty tired condition tbh but despite that it still worked really well, the numbers are all pretty excellent (it’s a massive bike, long and reachey, but carries it well) and the builds are well thought out- not perfect but not bad at all.

I have a Trailfox 29 which is one of the close competitors and they’re definitely in the same ballpark- the alu mega frame’s a fair chunk lighter than the alu BMC despite being quite a bit longer. Long term remains to be seen obviously since it’s a totally new bike but first impressions are it kicks arse tbh, a mate of mine just bought one (I won’t steal his thunder)

kayak23

The 290 is pretty damn good

Embarrassingly, I slung a leg over the 29er and had a carpark spin, thinking it was the 27.5er. Only realised when I put it back on the stand but thought while riding it, hmm, this isn’t for me, the wheels are massive! 😳

The 29er does look incredibly right though..

davosaurusrex

That 290 is far too much bike for my local trails. Want!

kayak23

Rode the new mega (pro model) at the Aston Hill demo day couple of weeks back.

Jumping straight off my 2012 Mega onto the new one,I was expecting things to feel markedly different.

I can’t say much felt really different, but I did feel comfortable on the bike pretty much instantly. It goes well and the bigger 27.5 wheels didn’t really feel any different to be fair.

It felt great on the downhill runs and I was hitting the drops on surface to air without having done it before so the bike must have made me feel comfortable.

It did feel like a good bike on the jumps and I was able to hit them all without really feeling like I was doing anything different from my 26″ Mega.

Tyres were not my first choice although I defy any tyre to cope with Aston Hill when it’s a bit moist. Ice rink!

Climbing I have to say was a little disappointing, in that it was just as hard work as it normally was on my original mega with ccdbacs shock. The bike had a 1×11 32-42 cassette and I run a 30-40.
    I was convinced it felt a little less easy on the new bike but it could be just subtle geometry differences that I wasn’t used to. The 650b tyres seemingly made piss all difference to how it rolled over the roots.

All in all, I liked it a lot but, I honestly thought it would somehow feel like some sort of magic bike, but it just felt like a bike…A nice bike.. 🙂

Getting back on my 26″ felt weird, a bit twitchy maybe, but after about. 20 seconds, it was all good again.

I’d like one still, but more for the nice new bike feeling than any massive performance differences I reckon.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Nuke proof mega 2016’ is closed to new replies.