Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Nuisance calls and dodgy emails – now being detected by service providers.
  • globalti
    Free Member

Just received a call on my Vodafone mobile and it came up as “Scam or Fraud”. Since I’m expecting a call from an unknown number I took it but sure enough, it was one of those robot calls.

I notice also that email providers are getting better at detecting bogus emails and warning their customers.

andytherocketeer

interesting.

half of my unsolicited calls are from my service provider.

doris5000

I was with TalkTalk who were terrible for this. One time I had a whinge about it, and the bloke goes ‘ok, fine, I’ll get you taken off the list for calls then’ – and that was it! Wish I had complained years earlier!

Cougar

Just received a call on my Vodafone mobile and it came up as “Scam or Fraud”.

Assuming that’s actually Voda and not an app on your phone – why the heck don’t they block it instead then? Do they think some customers are sat there thinking “y’know Mildrid, life’s great and all, but we haven’t had a good defrauding in ages…”?

Cougar

Or claim to be. I used to get them quite often. “Hi, I’m [name] calling from O2.” – Are you actually from O2 or calling on behalf of O2? – “Well, we’re calling on behalf of O2…” – Bye then.

I don’t really get them any more though, I’ve not had one in years. These days it’s almost always people who have been informed that I’ve recently been involved in an accident that wasn’t my fault.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve only had my phone a couple of weeks. How would it have learned that 01895 786863 is a scam?

doris5000

edit – it’s not the phone that learns, it’s the network:

Their software would see that 01895 786863 is making hundreds/thousands of calls a day (red flag), probably has some complaints logged against it (red flag), has lots of calls that get hung up almost immediately (red flag) etc etc…

jon_n
    Free Member

edit – it’s not the phone that learns, it’s the network:

More likely, especially if it’s a samsung phone, it’s using white pages to look up the number as it rings – Phone settings, identify unsaved numbers. You may find if a business calls you it has the number then their details underneath it as it rings too.

Scam numbers get reported back to the directory, although the accuracy is pretty hit and miss – some courier numbers seem to show as scams, as do some other numbers that aren’t…

nealglover
    Free Member

Assuming that’s actually Voda and not an app on your phone – why the heck don’t they block it instead then?

Because they aren’t always correct.

I have received genuine calls from a company I was expecting a call from, and it came up as “Scam or fraud” on my phone.

They are a company that (among other things) reclaim bank charges/ppi/etc. So that may cause some slight confusion.

jimdubleyou

I’ve recently been involved in an accident that wasn’t my fault.

Oh my god, have you? Was anybody injured? Have you called the police?

I play “make them put the phone down first” with these sorts of calls. It brightens the dull days…

matt_outandabout

I reported BT to TPS and thier own scam calls scheme once, many years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Nuisance calls and dodgy emails – now being detected by service providers.’ is closed to new replies.