Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Nuisance calls
  • Denis99
    Free Member

We are being plagued with nuisance calls each day, several times a day from the same company.

Obviously the number dialling us is withheld, I have repeatedly told them to stop ringing , but to no avail.

The calls I presume are being made from out of the UK with automatic dialling generated by the company, I thinh its an Indian call centre by the accents and the background noise.

They have all our details in terms of name and address etc.

Any advice on how to stop these appreciated, I’m on the verge of changing our telephone number to stop this increasing nuisance.
    Regards

Denis

kcal

It’s a bit rubbish. We used to get loads, not so much now, tend not to answer withheld numbers.

I bought my mum a BT – I think – phone that could block withheld numbers and invite them to leave a message – but it didn’t ring out as it were. I know that’s not the problem, but it does seem to trap a lot of these calls and I’m pleased for my mum.

jamiep
    Free Member

questionable legality but I’d keep a good whistle by the phone

perchypanther
    Free Member

a BT phone that could block withheld numbers and invite them to leave a message – but it didn’t ring out

Exactly this

Get yourself one of these…. £40 job’s a good ‘un. No more nuisance calls.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2445814.htm

rocketman
    Free Member

We nearly always let incoming calls go to answer phone which is set to kick in after three rings. Something about the recorded message and the tone causes randoms and automated calls to hang up.

May be worth a try

mav12
    Free Member
    jekkyl

I’ve been on the tps list for years, it doesn’t stop them. I love the recordings that start with ‘Hi, don’t hang up because you’ve…..’ OOooooooooooooooo!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Firstly get on the tps list, you can do the same for postal stuff too.

Secondly if no number comes up let it go to answer phone.

These calls are very annoying not least as many are just recordings and increasingly they ring your mobile 👿

milky1980
    Free Member

I get a few every day on the landline.

Which is strange as I don’t know the number and have never used it. The only people who know it are TalkTalk and BT, they both deny selling my details on and I’m ex-directory.

😕

allthepies
    Free Member

A trucall device will also screen out unwanted calls.

MrNice
    Free Member

I get a few every day on the landline.

Which is strange as I don’t know the number and have never used it. The only people who know it are TalkTalk and BT, they both deny selling my details on and I’m ex-directory.

I suspect they re-use numbers. The very first call I got on my new landline before I even knew the number myself was a cold caller.

Rio

I had one yesterday, picked up the phone and a recorded voice said “Are you being plagued by nuisance calls? We bet the answer is yes. We have the answer. At any time during this call press 5 to purchase…”

I pressed 5 hoping to get a person so I could get some details and report them but it hung up on me. 👿

allthegear
    Free Member

Just don’t have a landline? Assuming you can get a mobile phone signal, their packages for calls seem always to be better than landlines anyway. Speculative callers tend not to like ringing mobiles as they cost more to call.

Rachel

thecaptain
    Free Member

I just never pick up. Not that we are badly bothered, but we don’t get many valid calls either on the land line (which we only got for the broadband).

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I usually leave them on hold while I find the accident details.
    Start with 30 seconds pauses and gradually build up. Have a chat with the wife about where she left them. “Well it was your bloody accident!”

36 minutes is the record.

Denis99
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a landline which I hardly use these days.

My wife though seems to talk forever on the landline in the evenings, she must have run out of words by now….

I find them annoying due to them ringing at the same sort of times each day, and it could actually be something important. My son needs medical care and it could be doctors etc. So I tend to answer.

Had a call this morning from another Indian call centre , where I explained that I didn’t want to speak to him about anything, he said that he wouldn’t bother me if I just answered his questions.
    I told him where to go as I lost my rag a little , and said that all the calls where being recorded and would be used as evidence of harassment in court.

Early days, but it hasn’t rung since.

Denis99
    Free Member

Hasn’t worked, been rung twice in the last 15 minutes.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You really should just let it go to the answering machine. Any valid caller will start to leave a message, you can pick up at that point. It’s not like you’ll miss anything important.

Denis99
    Free Member

Yes,you are right, it’s just got the better of me really.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Nuisance calls’ is closed to new replies.