Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Nudie or Edwin jeans
  • tails
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve had a few pairs of nudie jeans which seem to blow out in the crotch area before you’d expect, are Edwin better or are selvedge jeans tougher? I like Nudies colours and cuts.

Thanks

everyone
    Free Member

How long were you getting with the nudies before they blew out?

I’ve got a pair of Edwin selvedge that need repairing again. I’ve had them nearly 2 years now and when I was a student I’d get maybe ~8 months out of a pair of decent jeans before I had to repair them.

I’ve seen people online mention that the less you wash your jeans then the more likely you are to get blowouts, although I suppose that only really concerns the raw denim crew.

PMK2060

My Edwin jeans have lasted well but tbh I do not wear jeans out quickly. Regarding fit I would say the Edwin ed55’s are similar to nudie steady eddies.

beagle
    Free Member

I’m sure you know Nudie do free repairs? That said Grim tims are a perfect fit on me but I have a pair with the crotch gone (2% elastane – probably actually jeggings).

Howies (for casual) tend to last me a longer than most.

bigblackshed

In the STW tradition and recommend what you have.

Iron Heart

I’ve had a pair for 5 years, still look like newish raw selvedge jeans. The dye is very firm, only a small amount of marbling even after probably 15-20 washes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I only wear Beardy McAxerson jeans these days. And I only wash them when I’m feeling really self indulgent.

tails
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ve got some Dixon Flambezzee sunglasses to go with your jeans CFH?

wrecker
    Free Member

Edwin denim quality seems to be a bit better to my eyes. You can’t really compare either with Iron Heart, which are twice the price (never really discounted) and 21oz denim compared to 12oz!
    Lee 101 better than edwin or nudie in terms of quality of material and manufacture, much smaller range though.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Edwin ED -55 best jeans I’ve ever had and must have lasted me at least 2-3 years

cheekyboy
    Free Member

which seem to blow out in the crotch area before you’d expect,

Probbly pee rot ………..dribbler eh 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dixon Flambezzee

Googlewhack!

🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I only wear Beardy McAxerson jeans these days. And I only wash them when I’m feeling really self indulgent.

Dude, there is an 8 PAGE thread about a company which have produced a pair of trousers. One product. 8 f***ing pages of circle jerk about a poncy pair of trousers. Let us denim fans have this one, eh?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m impressed that Flash managed to join the thread without his usual “pantelons de nimes” jibe. Out of the two I’d pick Edwin but prefer Albam and APC New Standards. All of my jeans die from catastrophic crotch blow out, it must be my big bal…. fat thighs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wrecker, that thread involved Brant so was even more of a circle jerk than usual!

tails
    Free Member

Thanks, think I’ll give Edwin a go and see how I get on with them.

everyone
    Free Member

If I had the cash spare then I’d go for some Momotaros or some Pure Blue Japan I think.

I know that I definitely want some indigo/indigo next.

CountZero

Edwin ED -55 best jeans I’ve ever had and must have lasted me at least 2-3 years

Christ, is that all? I’ve got two pairs of 501’s I bought back around ’83-4, that I’m still wearing, and a couple of pairs of Howies that are getting on towards a decade old.

duckman

39’s with the turn ups FTW! Would would have thought that contributors to the rugby thread would also like their denim! eh cfh,wrecker? Now an act of blasphemy…I don’t like the Howie’s fit.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Christ, is that all? I’ve got two pairs of 501’s I bought back around ’83-4, that I’m still wearing, and a couple of pairs of Howies that are getting on towards a decade old.

I mean that they don’t looked wrecked not that thay are worn out, I have salvage demim jeans which are 20 plus years old (evisu) but they are look worn, the Edwin ED-55 are still dark indigo after 2-3 years

DrJ

I’m sure you know Nudie do free repairs?

Yeah – had the pockets repaired on mine – I don’t know how they wore out – not from having too much money in them, that’s for sure. Took weeks, though 🙁

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I don’t think crotch blowout has much to do with the quality of the denim, it’s down to the fit. I’ve had many pairs of relatively expensive jeans (Levis, APC etc) and they’ve all gone there in less than a year. Got a pair from Uniqlo that have some stretch in and they have lasted much longer. I guess the ‘give’ in the fabric reduces the strain in that area.

wrecker
    Free Member

39’s with the turn ups FTW! Would would have thought that contributors to the rugby thread would also like their denim! eh cfh,wrecker? Now an act of blasphemy…I don’t like the Howie’s fit.

Loose cut fan eh? Red or rainbow?
    The 55s are about as modern a fit as I can manage with my tree trunks. You can count the change in my pocket from 20 paces though!
    The lee 101s is far too high, sits halfway up my back but the 101z is very nice. Try a pair duckman, if you like the 39, you’ll probably like these and the quality is superb.

yunki
    Free Member

I only wear Clem Fandangoes these days as they suffer from virtually zero notching or shrug, which I would have thought would be the primary concern if you expect your jeans to work really hard (without looking too industrial)

theflatboy
    Free Member

Dr. Denims for me, trousers and jeans both good quality and look good too IMO.

julians
    Free Member

Wtf is crotch blowout?

Cant tell which poats in this thread are serious or sarcastic

prezet
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Nudie jeans once. Holes in the pocket within a couple of months. Never again. Crap quality.

duckman

The lee 101s is far too high, sits halfway up my back but the 101z is very nice. Try a pair duckman, if you like the 39, you’ll probably like these and the quality is superb.

Thanks for that Wrecker:I will look at them,I have always assumed they would be too narrow for me. Rainbow is never an option,I like the whole vintage denim thing and they didn’t do rainbow. The pair of selvedge jeans I would most like are the repo 1933 501’s,they even have a NRA (Not rifle as)stamp on the badge,as they were Government work wear issue during the Depression. But alas; too narrow in the leg.
    Crotch blow out is when the crotch rips on jeans,the denim tears next to the seam and they are then knackered.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

sometimes STW is soooo STW!

bearGrease

https://www.weargustin.com/store?category=Jeans – my 16.25Oz Cone Mills selvedge are lasting well.

neilthewheel

I’ve been wearing jeans for 40 years and have never suffered from “crotch blowout”.

wrecker
    Free Member

They maybe a little narrower than 39s, duckers perhaps more like 47s with a lower rise.
    The cheap selvedge uniqlo’s are surprisingly good. Not too close, nice material and decent quality. Worth every penny.
    The proper vintage stuff always seem to have really high rises, don’t suit my shape at all.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I haven’t a clue what jeans i’ve got on,i know they are a 30″ waist , i just know that when they wear out a new pair will magically appear in my trouser drawer.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Also remembered I got a pair of these from of all places Next and they are holding up well (don’t know if they still sell them though)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I haven’t a clue what jeans i’ve got on,i know they are a 30″ waist , i just know that when they wear out a new pair will magically appear in my trouser drawer

yeah, but one day you’ll have to leave home and your mum will stop choosing your clothes for you

sofabear
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Levi’s at the weekend and baulked at the £70 price tag – I remember when they were £35 from Fosters Menswear.

I mean, really – £200 for a pair of jeans?!!? 😯

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

I currently have some APC jeans but fancy some Rogue Territory Stantons next.

beer247
    Free Member

In my wardrobe at the moment:-

Albam New Slim selvedge
    Edwin ED-55 quartz unwashed
    Edwin ED-55 compact (new name for the above apparently) unwashed
    Nudie Thin-Finn, Black organic

The Albams are my go to pair, nice cut, not too tight, but not to baggy, comfy once worn in.

The sizing on the Edwins seems to have changed and the new ones (compacts) I bought don’t seem to fit as well as the last pair.

I’ve had crotch blow out in every pair of Nudies i’ve owned! Then again I did tend to go for the jeggings look when i was younger….

I’d have a look at Universal Works or A.P.C if i were you, does depend how much you want to spend though.

yunki
    Free Member

BillMC

I bought a pair of Levi’s at the weekend and baulked at the £70 price tag – I remember when they were £35 from Fosters Menswear.

I just looked at the Dave’s (New York) website and their Levis are listed at $40. People are being overcharged here.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Nudie or Edwin jeans’ is closed to new replies.