Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Nubbish Shimano nonclemature question
  • Cougar

Hi,

Sorry if this is a dense question but I'm still relatively new to this. I'm confused by the naming scheme Shimano uses.

Would I be right in thinking that Deore < LX < SLX < XT < XTR? With each revision you get better quality and extra features? And all of these fall under the blanket of "Deore," which as far as I can tell stands for XC MTB groupsets (as opposed to recreational bikes)? Or have I totally misunderstood?

Aslo, within each 'range' there seems to be sub-models. Eg, looking at replacement chainrings for my bike as an example, CRC lists "Deore M510," "Deore M530" and "Deore M532." All the same price. What's the difference?

Cheers.

frank4short
    Free Member

As broad general rule yes you're mostly right. However the further up the line you get the lighter, and to a lesser extent better performing, the stuff tends to be.

The numbering thing generally relates to the model/model year the stuff is. Though in some year you may find they offer multiple choices on certain parts so a M970 & M971 rear mech will be the same model year but operate in a different fashion. No doubt someone else will be along shortly to correct me though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

'Nubbish'? ❓

What's the difference?

Different designations for different model years? IE 510 is earlier than 532. Same bolt pattern though, and same quality too. Just different colours maybe.

Can't work out why a Deore M530 middle chainring is twice the price of a M510 or M532 though.

Amos
    Free Member

Nomenclature! (sorry had to correct that)

Pretty much yes, 510, 530 etc. normally represents the year as shimano tend to change hole positions (for example) from year to year especially XTR

crazy-legs

It's n-o-m-e-n-c-l-a-t-u-r-e…

LX doesn't exist anymore. Well, not as a MTB groupset, it's now in their touring range.
    Alivio < Deore < SLX < XT < XTR
    For 2011 XTR splits into "Race" and "Trail", the differences being in things like size of brake rotors and chainset options (double for Race, triple for Trail).
    There's Saint as well, a sort of beefed up hardcore version of XT aimed at Freeride/DH.

The difference in numbers relates to model years mostly. Shimano change things like Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) or chainring size or number of attachment bolts or even chainring colour etc all the bloody time and they give each version a model number. You need to delve into their Technical documents to work out all the permutations and combinations.

Cougar

Excellent. Cool, thanks folks.

Nomenclature! (sorry had to correct that)

Oddly, that's actually really useful, I've been spelling that wrong for years. Ta.

You need to delve into their Technical documents to work out all the permutations and combinations.

That sorta leads on to my next question, which is compatibility. As a general rule of thumb, how much of it can I assume is interchangeable? Eg, is it trivial to swap an XT shifter for an XTR one (obviously assuming the same -speed in both cases)? Or is it a total minefield and everything needs checking?

Cougar

'Nubbish'?

Sorry – nub, noob, newbie, hi I'm new.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

All 9-speed Shimano shifters/cassettes//cranksets/derailleurs are interchangeable.

With everything else equal, XTR shifters are much nicer than XT, SLX or Saint; even if only for their lighter operation. The shift mechanism is essentially the same, but the XTR uses extra bearings (4) over the XT (2), so giving the shift a lighter and more precise feel. SLX and Saint use plastic bushings rather than bearings so will have a heavier/softer feel. Bushings wear much quicker than bearings, too; so a year-old XT/XTR will, with comparable use, still feel as it did when it first went on. SLX/Saint are more likely to have lost some of their precision.

So, yes, the XTR is 'better' than the XT. Whether or not it's worth the price difference is between you and your wallet.

Cougar

Excellent, just what I needed to know. Thankyou.

I was idly wondering about treating our bikes to upgrades at some point, OH's SRAM groupset upgrade path seems pretty obvious to follow (X5,X7,X9) but my Shimano less so, hence the question.

From the previous comment, I guess the advice there is "leave it alone." (-:

crazy-legs

That sorta leads on to my next question, which is compatibility

As Three Fish says, pretty much all Shimano 9sp stuff is interchangeable, I use a mix of 9sp road and MTB parts on my cyclo-cross bike and it all works fine (eg Ultegra STI's on an XTR rear mech and a very old Shimano 600 (pre-Ultegra!) front mech).
    9sp mechs will work fine on old 8sp as well.

SRAM and Shimano is mostly interchangeable apart from the rear shifter and mech, you need them to match. eg SRAM X0 shifter = SRAM rear mech needed. Aside from that SRAM generally works with Shimano.

10sp stuff is a lot more awkward you can't even swap 10sp Dura Ace and XTR chains cos they're subtly different.

Cougar

I thought they all were Deore?

clubber
    Free Member

Nah…

Deore is actually a relatively new group and replaced (IIRC) STX and STX-RC

LX was(is) Deore LX but SLX being its mtb replacement is just simple SLX.

If you're really that interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimano

Cougar

Cool, ta. 10-speed is largely irrelevant to me as I don't own anything that uses it, but good to know nontheless. I'd no idea you could mix SRAM and Shim, that's handy.

Cougar

Right. So we have SLX < Deore XT < Deore XTR, and everything else is superceded or not appropriate for MTB, yes?

clubber
    Free Member

No – Deore is absolutely fine (and you might argue, all you really need) for mtbing.

Deore < SLX < Deore XT < Deore XTR

Cougar

Aha! Gotcha.

frank4short
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    Nah…

Deore is actually a relatively new group and replaced (IIRC) STX and STX-RC

Actually Deore is as old as they come. Its just Shimano phased out the name for a number of years there from around the early 90's onwards. Which is why it appears relatively new.

crazy-legs

Deore < SLX < Deore XT < Deore XTR

It's always just been XTR, never Deore XTR.

Cougar

Good god, there's always -something-! (-: Cheers.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Shimano Deore was Similar to where current SLX/XT is now, in the hierarchy, although it was better quality.

Current Deore is more akin to what Mountain/ Mountain LX would have been, although the quality is closer to STC/RC.

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm.. yes, good point.

Let's face it they're all just silly names 🙂 XTR sounds cool though 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I'm conflicted
    I want to say how dull this thread is
    but then I'd be dull be association
    anyway I always thought STX-RC should have been the name of the top of the range groupset

nickc

I just buy XT, it works, and you don't have to think about it. Makes life much easier

brakes
    Free Member

and from memory (early 90s onwards) wasn't it:

Deore > Deore XT > XTR
    STX-RC > Deore DX/LX > Deore XT > XTR
    Deore > LX > XT > XTR
    Deore > Hone/SLX > XT/Saint > XTR

clubber
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    I just buy XT, it works, and you don't have to think about it. Makes life much easier

Thing is, so does Deore IME… doesn't stop me having a mix of Deore,LX,XT,XTR on my bikes though…

clubber
    Free Member

Bakes you forgot the various LX400/200/etc

nickc

Thing is, so does Deore IME

Aye true enough. I'm vain enough to care about it, but not fast enough to justify XTR

Amos
    Free Member

Aye true enough. I'm vain enough to care about it, but not fast enough to justify XTR

From what you were saying about your lap of White the other day I'd say you were more than deserving of XTR!!!!!! 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Nubbish Shimano nonclemature question’ is closed to new replies.