Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Nu skool xc shoot-out: Epic:Anthem:Hei Hei
  • revmatt
    Free Member

I had an XL gate cube, couldnt see it, still hated it, didnt enjoy riding it, sold it.

Any thoughts on the new Orange stage 4 short travel 29er?

Clink

Any thoughts on the new Orange stage 4 short travel 29er?

Won’t take a bottle, I’m out.

iainc

^^^^^ it’s a bicycle, not a teething baby…… 😀

jako

You could put the Top Fuel in to the mix. I have bought one to replace the Anthem (listed for sale on these pages) . The Anthem was great fun to ride, very responsive on the 27.5 wheels. But the 29r Top Fuel suits my riding and what I want to do over the next few years better.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    I know where theses a Scarp Di2 with £1k off….

Is Di2 for MTB any good?

Me too 😉

Apparently it’s ace, especially with Syncroshift

timb34
    Free Member

Might have to add the updated Felt Edict to the shootout – there’s a rather glowing report over on bikeradar

Kryton57

I had another browse of some reviews last night, and got a bit despondent over the details.

Essentially, they seem to state that the new Anthem 29er & Oiz are really “For Race Only” with two reviews – specifically for the Oiz stating the rear ends start to get uncompliant and bounce around on the rough stuff.

That pretty much leaves me with an (expensive) Spark 120mm or ‘Dale SI SE2 to look at for Marathons & Trail. The Spark has a 67.5 HA – slack for XC – and the ‘dale 69.5 but no remote lockouts which would be very useful during Marathon racing.

I think I’m going to have to get saving for a 120mm Spark with the 3 stage remote lockout being ideal for what I need, but the Carbon ones are going to mean spending £4k or thereabouts. Ouch. I can’t stretch to a Turner, and even at cheaper prices a Canyon Lux seems to be “long, steep and slightly unweidly” – perhaps the geo is getting long in the tooth.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Kryton

I looked at the Canyon numbers again last night and agree with your conclusion. I’m probably more towards the marathon racing spectrum that you are but still the geo looks to be dated somewhat. Compare that to what they seem to have done with the Exceed hardtail. I would have a guess that the Lux is due a update soon but as yet not even the Ergon pros have a new version so that’s not coming next year? Not sure how this helps at all really but there you are.
    I could stretch to £4k which is a lot of money to not actually be able to find something near the top end of the carbon, marathon racing tree. Pretty despondent this side too

revmatt
    Free Member

So I began looking at the Orbea Occam Trail when the OIZ delivery delay was discovered. Looks like a good balance of 120mm travel on a good 29er frame with lifetime warranty. Got a good review on bikerumour. Has fox 34, so all in all a tiny bit heavier (in teh 12.5-13.5kg range rather than 11.5-12.5) but perhaps more durable and a better all rounder?

Kryton57

Disclosure – I have a carbon hardtail for XCO races.

I have actually been considering a Canyon Neuron. The top of the range one is a tad heavy at 27.5lbs and not carbon but comes with a dropper which I’d remove. The weight is in the frame and the DT 1501’s would spin up pretty well for a Marathon bike. Its 120mm XTR & Fox Kashima and 69.5 HA, for £3.5k

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/neuron/2018/neuron-al-9-0-ltd.html

mrlebowski
    Free Member

but the Carbon ones are going to mean spending £4k or thereabouts

&

I could stretch to £4k which is a lot of money to not actually be able to find something near the top end of the carbon, marathon racing tree. Pretty despondent this side too

Indeed – felt the same till I stumbled across my Fuel frame. The prices on some of these bikes/frames is now really quite staggering….

Still…..1st World problems hey!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I can’t stretch to a Turner,

You could stretch to mine easily enough 😉 details in profile. it’s still not boost, but it’s a bloody good bike!

Buzzard
    Free Member

mrlebowski – where exactly did you stumble on a cheap Fuel??

BSadddles – what you selling? Czar in Large and we can talk

Kryton57

Re the Neuron

Actually the 9.0S SL is £400 cheaper, 100g lighter and already 1X with SRAM Eagle: https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/neuron/2018/neuron-al-9-0-sl.html

Tempted!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

mrlebowski – where exactly did you stumble on a cheap Fuel??

Rutland Cycling..

Pure bloody luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Nu skool xc shoot-out: Epic:Anthem:Hei Hei’ is closed to new replies.